Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 04:18 PM

Agility, fun but hard work when your dog is smarter than you :D

Mia dont 1/2 keep you on your toes

Not only did we have to figure out that her zoomies are actually frustration caused if she is made to think she has done something wrong when its my slow handling that is at fault
- result - if she does what she thinks I have told her to do then she still gets a reward, if we both get it right then she gets a big reward

Last night she gave me another challange
We train our contacts with a '4 on the floor' where the dog runs all the way down the obsticle and then lies on the floor
Mia has been really quick at picking it up

But last night she started jumping her contacts, took a couple of goes to figure out why, was I stooping? was my position in her way?
Nope
We have been training to say 'down' to the dog as it approaches its contact so it knows to get to its position
and the faster the dog the sooner you give the cue

but
with my little Mia as soon as she was hearing the command she knew she had to get to her position lying down at the bottom of the A frame - so she lept of straight into a down so now I have to give my command later and she is getting her contact perfectly

If i had the time (and ability) I think this little lady would be smart enough for a running contact
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Aww, bless her.

At least you have been able to work out what's going on (even if it takes a wee while). I'm sure you and her will go far together