Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
You are honestly saying that a dog does not know the difference between a rabbit and another member of it's own species? if that were the case, why haven't all our dogs turned on and killed each other?
Scorpio's experience is echoed by that of many other people. Sometimes it does happen.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Yep. I would not be able to trust or live with a dog that had killed either one of my own dogs or someone elses beloved pet.
Do you leave your yorkie with the others when you go out?

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Ahh....so a beloved pet is not a dog?

The neighbours rabbit that got in the garden would count, but not the wild one in the field.
I meant dog.

A pet dog is obviously different to pet rabbit. I would not expect a dog to differentiate between a pet rabbit and a wild one. A member of its own species, in it's own pack, is totally different.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Sure, but where do you draw the line? every situation is different, but from my selfish perspective, I could not have a known killer of cats/dogs...I would be a nervous wreck every time another cat or dog entered the picture, and where is the fun in that? I wouldn't have a dog put down for killing a cat (although would maybe rehome -- I have three at the moment, two of which were here before my current dogs. If they hypothically killed one, would I have to rehome the other two to protect them, even though they were not the problem?), but another dog that is one of the 'pack' is a different matter altogether.
Why/

I understand perfectly how you or I would feel towards such a dog, we would probably never see them in the same light again, and in many cases would not be able to tolerate them in your home.

But to be honest, from the animals point of view, why is it different to killing one animal to another,

We are for ever saying "stop humanising them" yet this is a perfect example of doing just that,

Why would it be different for one dog to turn on a pack member than one it does nto know.

if you are saying its "different" for you to cope with, then I agree completey,
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Teagan attacked Kingsley, and would have killed him if I wasn't there to intervene (this is years ago now).
I hated her for a while, but there was no way I was getting rid of her!
I forgave her, because afterall, she's a dog and obviously did it for a reason (even if the reason is unbeknown to me).
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Question avoided----and not very neatly.

What I found even worse was that pet ferrets can be thought of differently to pet cats?

rune
Well if you want to equate it to Terriers and Hounds I find it remarkable strange that you dont understand. Given that some Hounds were bred to hunt and kill Mink, and Otter, likewise Terriers hunting Otter, Mink and Polecat, I find it very plausable that a dog of that type would see an animal like a Ferret in a cage that they are NOT allowed to touch as fair game, where as the pet Cat who is with them is part of their family.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Why/

I understand perfectly how you or I would feel towards such a dog, we would probably never see them in the same light again, and in many cases would not be able to tolerate them in your home.

But to be honest, from the animals point of view, why is it different to killing one animal to another,
We are for ever saying "stop humanising them" yet this is a perfect example of doing just that,

Why would it be different for one dog to turn on a pack member than one it does nto know.

if you are saying its "different" for you to cope with, then I agree completey,
Why? because its their "pack" if you want to call it that. Dogs do not go round killing eachother, its amply demonstrated by other dogs being present but not taking part in the killing, if it was "natural" then surely all the dogs that were present in such a situation would pile in?
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
In view of some posters comments, I'd like to know why a dog killing another in it's pack (obviously for a reason) is any different or worse than a dog hunting and killing wildlife?
The first you cant control

The second you can
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
The first you cant control

The second you can
Good post.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Yes, one is controlling a dog to kill and harm another animal deliberately, the other is a tragic accident, possibly due to illness, that no one could have seen coming.
Page 3 of 56 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 > Last »