Male 

03-04-2010, 06:57 PM
all breeds were cross breeds at some point, chill with the breed snobbery
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Trainer Of Dogs View Post
I was always led to believe that pups from 2 pedigree parents but different breeds are known as first crosses.

Anything else if there parents are a mixture are cross breeds or mongrels.Or Heinz 57.

My Sabre's 16 years old hes a GSD X Flat coat Retriever.
So what should we call him.
This will be interesting.

But to me hes a first cross.
He is a dog---four legs and a tail!

Cracks me up that any other name is needed unless for descriptive purposes----they are mongrels if not pedigrees!

rune
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 07:21 PM
I was always led to believe that pups from 2 pedigree parents but different breeds are known as first crosses.

Anything else if there parents are a mixture are cross breeds or mongrels.Or Heinz 57.

A Flat Shepherd?
Trainer Of Dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Hey that's a great name.

Excuse me madame what breed of dog is that. I can calmly say a Flat Shepherd.

Or a German Retriever.

Mind boggles.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 05:12 AM
I understand your pain but now I try to take a humour approach and have finally found a few that get me giggling.
Maltese-Poodle crosses are called Maltipoos
Maltese with Shih Tzus are called Mal-Shihs, Shihtese, or Mitzus. I prefer the second one due to funniness value
And to be fair as someone else said, most breeds were cross breeds some at point. One breed we have here is the Bull Arab, that is essentially four breeds mixed together, after 20 odd years they are trying to get a standardised measure for the breed and presume at some stage want it officially recognised.
Don't worry about what others call their dogs, as long as you take care of yours and they take care of theirs that is all that really matters to me
josshun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:03 AM

hi there yes but at least you know he is a cross breed i was talking about people who sell puppies as pedigree cavapoo's or cockerapoo's the kennel club do not rcognise these as pedigree and cant register them as pedigree's
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 09:32 AM
We met a lady yesterday with a small dog and as we were chatting I asked her if it was a Yorkie cross? How embarrassing as she said no it's a Lhasa Apso!! Then she said she didn't think it a pedigree either and thought it had Yorkie in it but had bought it as a pedigree. I guess it is hard to tell when they are small puppies though.

We have lots of adverts for crosses with silly names at silly prices-no problems with anyone wanting a cross-breed but the market seems to be flooded with them at the moment and I hope they get good homes and are not sold just for the novelty factor.

(I am thinking about asking people if they have a
Poo-ador? Makes a change from Labradoodle don't you think?)
Personally I think with about 200 pedigreee breeds already there should be a dog out there for everyone. With all the dogs in homes do we really need more different types being bred?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Personally I think with about 200 pedigreee breeds already there should be a dog out there for everyone. With all the dogs in homes do we really need more different types being bred?
No we don't need more breeds, or dogs actually! There aren't enough homes to go round for the ones already in the world! I personally could never bring myself to buy a dog from a breeder, nevermind a designer dog.

To me, for every dog you buy from a breeder, that's like killing a dog in rescue isn't it?

Sorry, gone off topic
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2010, 09:46 AM

No they are crossbreeds or what some designer breeders like to call F1`s........

Dogs with more than two breeds in them are mongrels...(mutts) not that there is anything wrong with them, but thats the true definition ..

You have purebreds, crossbreeds,and mutts... all dogs all love d by their owners.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
No we don't need more breeds, or dogs actually! There aren't enough homes to go round for the ones already in the world! I personally could never bring myself to buy a dog from a breeder, nevermind a designer dog.

To me, for every dog you buy from a breeder, that's like killing a dog in rescue isn't it?

Sorry, gone off topic
I have never really understood this statement. Getting a dog from a breeder is not killing a dog in rescue because not everyone wants a dog from a rescue. Many breeds are very rarely (or never) found in rescue; how would one go about getting one of these more unusual breeds if not via a breeder? not only that, but without responsible breeders breeding with proper practices, pretty much all breeds would go to the pot. The only people breeding would be the irresponsible idiots who do not do it properly and these are the people who fuel rescues in the first place.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 50 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »