Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Do they also NEED mental stimulation?
Surely that falls into training and companionship?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Hhmmmm, I don't think dogs NEED one, but it's certainly nice to be able to give them free running....

However, I do agree with Ramble. I remember reading her threads about Turid Rugaas's theories, and when I thought about them more and applied them to M&M, they were right.

When we were in Scotland, the dogs spent most of time on flexi-lead, due to a combination of factors (strange place, hill walking with huge drops etc). They got off-lead on the estate we were staying at, and at least once on every walk, but they were absolutely fine on flexi. They did lots of sniffing and snuffing around but didn't suffer from not constantly being free.

We went for a walk with their sister at the weekend, and all the dogs were completely manic. When they were put on lead, they were huffing and pulling and wild, and wouldn't settle.

If I had to walk my dogs on lead everywhere, every single time we were out, I don't think it would be detrimental to them.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Surely that falls into training and companionship?
Sorry, yes I missed the word 'training' when I read your post.

But I'm trying to decide whether we all have the same interpretation of the word 'need'. Is it what they need just to survive, or to have a reasonable quality of life or to be a happy, healthy, balanced dog?

The list of needs will vary accordingly and if we're going for the latter, than I would say yes, I think some dogs do NEED a good run to have a happy, healthy, balanced life.

Doesn't mean it has to be every day.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Sorry, yes I missed the word 'training' when I read your post.

But I'm trying to decide whether we all have the same interpretation of the word 'need'. Is it what they need just to survive, or to have a reasonable quality of life or to be a happy, healthy, balanced dog?

The list of needs will vary accordingly and if we're going for the latter, than I would say yes, I think some dogs do NEED a good run to have a happy, healthy, balanced life.

Doesn't mean it has to be every day.
Hmmm....I think they NEED an understanding owner who can provide for their individual needs more.
I think to say a dog 'needs' a good run is very misleading because it doesn't. It NEEDS food. It NEEDS water. It NEEDS companionship/shleter and training.

The question was 'do dogs need a good run?' and my answer is no...they need many things but they don't need a good run.
The question wasn't 'what do dogs need to be happy and healthy?' In terms of need....a good run doesn't come into it surely? Need to me is what we need to survive...not what we need to keep us happy.
I need chocolate.
Hmmm...I don't do I?!!!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Does it depend on breed do you think tho??

No we dont all need chocolate (actually I DO!!!) but some humans could not bear not to exercise while others would be happy to sit on the sofa all day!!!
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I do think its good for a dog to have a free run , especially with the breed I own (BC's) but in some circumstances I can see why some dogs cant have this
My three would still be bouncing after a normal lead walk ... my Daughter proved this , just before xmas she was walking the dogs for me cos I hurt my foot ... over those two weeks they got more and more bouncy & unruly in the house , when I asked where she was walking them (id assumed she was going in the fields like I did) it turned out she was simply walking them on short leads around the village , it just wasnt enough exercise for three healthy border collies , no wonder they went stir crazy

My three all wear their longlines in the field , if there arent any other dogs in the field then I drop the lines and they drag them behind them ... it doesnt stop them playing , running etc at all
If another dog comes in that they know I leave them to play , but if a strange dog comes in I pick up the lines , they can still run and play (each dog has a 30ft line) but im in control
while their recall isnt 100% I feel more relaxed doing it this way
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I disagree
That`s OK Life would be very dull if we all thought the same.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Does it depend on breed do you think tho??

No we dont all need chocolate (actually I DO!!!) but some humans could not bear not too exercise while others would be happy to sit on the sofa all day!!!
No I don't think it depends on the breed. It depends on the individual dog which is why I can't agree with the question 'do dogs need a good run' because they don't, it may be nice for them and for us...but they don't NEED it. Just like I don't need chocolate, it just makes life better for me, although I know plenty who don't like it!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mese View Post
I do think its good for a dog to have a free run , especially with the breed I own (BC's) but in some circumstances I can see why some dogs cant have this
My three would still be bouncing after a normal lead walk ... my Daughter proved this , just before xmas she was walking the dogs for me cos I hurt my foot ... over those two weeks they got more and more bouncy & unruly in the house , when I asked where she was walking them (id assumed she was going in the fields like I did) it turned out she was simply walking them on short leads around the village , it just wasnt enough exercise for three healthy border collies , no wonder they went stir crazy

My three all wear their longlines in the field , if there arent any other dogs in the field then I drop the lines and they drag them behind them ... it doesnt stop them playing , running etc at all
If another dog comes in that they know I leave them to play , but if a strange dog comes in I pick up the lines , they can still run and play (each dog has a 30ft line) but im in control
while their recall isnt 100% I feel more relaxed doing it this way
My onlead walks are done on 7 foot leads
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Of course they wont die if they don't get a good run and spend all their time on lead but I still believe it is an import part of a dogs life. This is based on humans:

but I believe can be used for our pet dogs food , water etc are still bottom of the rung as in the above hierarchy. eg A dog who lives in a kennel and is fed and given water but never really excercised (on or offlead ) is simply given the basic to survive but is missing out on much life has to offer.
Page 6 of 46 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »