Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Oh and as Stormy just told me in a PM... Hadrians wall would have been good if they'd built it higher
ha ha keep u scots OUT oh heck just remembered im half scottish from ayrshire- sorry
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2007, 06:17 PM
For me, it's the valiant NHS (consistently underfunded as a result of the public demand for lower taxes), our welfare state and our freedom of speech (The "going to the dogs" thread just wouldn't be possible in some countries!).

I'm fortunate in that now, I live where I used to come for holidays - the people are generally great, the food is good and the scenery is marvellous.

In this country, I'm allowed to campaign for things that matter to me (like public crucifixion for motoring offences and life imprisonment for being unable to steer a shopping trolley).

We have an excellent education system (though it's not evident in some Dogsey spelling )

We have a good justice system (although some seem to blur the line between justice and revenge)

We have a political system which could be improved only by eliminating the Conservative Party

The climate's OK (even here, in the most northerly bits of it) and.....

...we have doggies!

Snorri
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Most of the reasons why the UK is a great place to be have already been covered in posts such those by Huey, Azz and Snorri to name but a few.

Other reasons to add to my list are

Clean drinking water at the turn of a tap.

Enough food for everyone to eat a healthy, balanced diet if they so wish.

A vaccination programme that has made huge inroads into the control of childhood diseases that are rife in other areas of the world.

The ability to criticise our government, monarchy etc without fear of imprisonment.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Snorri, I dont consider the NHS underfunded, it gets more funding now than ever, the main problem is the people put in charge to manage the budgets are often underqualified and do not seem to be answerable to anyone, In how many other jobs would someone in charge of that amount of money be able to overspend by the amounts they do and still keep their job.

I am not going to start on the justice system as I will be here all night.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
We have so many things that we take for granted but not every country can boast for instance democracy, meritocracy, equality, freedom to practice our religion, freedom to practice our own sexuality, liberal freedoms of speech within the limits of racism, bigotry, etc.
Our society recognises the need to support the less fortunate both here and abroad. We gives large sums per capita to overseas charities every year and support international political efforts to aid countries less fortunate that ourselves. We offer sanctuary and opportunities to people from around the world who are less fortunate than ourselves.
We have law and order and a justice system that has been emulated as an ideal by many other countries around the world. Our justice system is not only fair it is compassionate. We have health and safety regulations that ensure the food we eat, our homes and workplaces are safe. We have high quality health care that is available to all regardless of wealth. We have a high standard of eduction available to all regardless of wealth. We have a diverse economy and industries. We have history, we have culture, we have a wonderfull countryside that changes constantly with the seasons and we are allowed to keep dogs as pets! :smt001
I echo Hewey
Ok the country isn't perfect but name a country that is..
I feel very fortunate to have been born here
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Off topic or chat posts merged:

I reckon we should keep the moaning in the other thread ... and the nice stuff in here :lol:

How about Haggis....... don't get that yummy stuff in any other country :lol:

Thank god for that. :lol:

Don't knock it till you try it... it's far better than faggots :p

I had battered Haggis from a fish shop in Eyemouth last year- I had the runs for 2 days.......:-( I know its the borders but.....;-)

Never tried them, the name puts me off.

You never had a faggot in your mouth... I thought that was an English tradition :lol: :lol: How about jellied eels then :p

No, and i hope i never do. jellied eels are more a london dish.

what about fish and chips..........lol
eels no way.........yuk thats got to be worse than hagis.

Fish and chips is a great mean, however the quailty is not as good as it use to be and you have to travel miles for perfect fish and chips.

Aye fish and chips... nice haddock in a crispy batter mmmm followed by a deep fried marsbar :lol:

yeah but there not the same if they are not in good old fashioned news paper.......... dont tell me i'm getting on in years i already know.

battered haggis?????????????

Perish the thought! That would be on a par with sugared porridge (spit spit spit)!

By the way, did you have the haggis kilt on or kilt off? And if you don't take the sgean dubh out, you're asking for trouble!

Snorri

Possibly tasted funny because they were in the comic section....

i LOVE haggis :-P :-P :-P

OH is in Edinburgh this weekend and guess what i'm getting???

Yep haggis.

can you still get aberdeen butteries? those salty scone like buns?
loved them as well.

I have a couple of "butteries" every day when I'm working... not the healthiest of things but lovely...

Also known as Rowies or Aberdeen rolls..... Beautiful :grin:

-end-
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4