Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Mandelson: Lib Dem attacks in the press 'disgusting'

Have to agree completely - the Murdoch press are showing their vile colour!!

Let's hope The Independent newspaper is right: "Rupert Murdoch won't decide this election – you will."

Lord Mandelson has said that the press attacks on the Liberal Democrats in today's papers are "disgusting".

"I think it offends against basic decency," he told World at One presenter Martha Kearney.
Listen to the snip here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...10/8637599.stm
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 01:41 PM
LOL---and of course Mandelson has no agenda and would dream of smearing anyone!

It was unfortunate that Cleggs instructions for the debate were left somewhere.

However if it wasn't for their foreign policy I'd vote for them.
As it stands I'll probably throw my vote away on UKIP---just to make the point.

Do you want us to join the Euro?

rune
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm not surprised Mandelson wants to get this off his chest, they did exactly the same thing to Labour with Kinnock - only difference back then was that there was no internet, the press had so much power then - thankfully for us, they don't have the hold they once had.. Murdoch is losing his power in this age of the web

Re the Euro - I'm neither for or against it, I just want what's best for us all. There certainly are pros for joining, as well as of course cons. A stronger Europe would mean we become the most important region in the world - oil will start to trade in euro not the dollar. If you think how many of the worlds super powers are in Europe already - a united Europe would be pretty awesome!

But of course there are cons too - we just have to weigh up what's best and for once, I would just like a party in power who actually wants to do what's right, for us. Out of the lot, Nick Clegg is the only one who sounds like a decent, trustable guy :- /

And the world is changing, I don't want us to be left behind. How else are we going to compete with the new 'powers' China, India - they are growing at a phenomenal rate! not to mention the 'threat' from countries like Iran, North Korea. ...I do sometimes wonder if we'll be safer as a united Europe
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-04-2010, 03:41 PM
The media mafia are finally being exposed for who they are! The world is changing, old politics and their press attack dogs are slowly but surely being shown the door.

It's quite something to behold, the Tory press in full blood. Not since 1992, and its concerted assault on Neil Kinnock, have the rightwing newspapers joined together in such a sustained and undisguised attempt to destroy a figure in British public life. If anything the sight is more breathtaking this time, with the front pages of today's Mail, Telegraph, Sun and Express all training their firepower on Nick Clegg. While the 1992 operation to destroy Kinnock was the culmination of nearly a decade of warfare against the then Labour leader, the "Get Clegg" offensive has been assembled in a matter of days.
Earlier this week the former Sun editor, David Yelland, described the extent to which the Murdoch papers and others are deeply invested in a Cameron victory and are trembling at the prospect of a political force in Britain that they don't control. Some may have thought that a conspiracy theory too far – until they saw today's clutch of front pages.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...spaper-attacks
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
There certainly are pros for joining, as well as of course cons. A stronger Europe would mean we become the most important region in the world - oil will start to trade in euro not the dollar. If you think how many of the worlds super powers are in Europe already - a united Europe would be pretty awesome!

But of course there are cons too - we just have to weigh up what's best and for once, I would just like a party in power who actually wants to do what's right, for us. Out of the lot, Nick Clegg is the only one who sounds like a decent, trustable guy :- /
A good post Azz but I would just point out that as Nick Clegg would take the UK more into Europe being a decent, trustable guy he would follow the letter of European Law, whereas none of the other countries in Europe do, oh yes they say they do but I can assure you (as someone who spends a lot of time in one EU country) they only do what benefits them directly, anything else is carefully 'forgotten' or left to some obscure committee who have no intention of implementing the policy.

Green issues, employment of other EU nationals, religion, you name it and most countries find a way around it, only Britain sticks to the letter of the law.

If we're going more into Europe we need a hard nosed, double dealing, untrustworthy Prime Minister to match those already in power in mainland Europe
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I don't think that'd be the case - one thing he said is very true, we can shape Europe as leaders in it... no point crying from the sidelines afterwards
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
- one thing he said is very true, we can shape Europe as leaders in it...

Well all I can say is the 'leaders' can debate and agree all they want, if the Czechs and Poles and Hungarian civil servants don't want to implement any Brussels law then they just don't All these statistics that Brussels keeps publishing are based on what the various countries tell them, they are not based on reality, don't forget the civil servants in these countries have had a lifetime of lieing to keep the communist regimes in place, it is second nature to them, it doesn't matter what the 'leaders' decide, it's only Britain which actually follows these EU laws.

And IMO it's not much different in Italy, France, Germany, Spain
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-04-2010, 12:00 PM
So much for our free press, here's what Nick Robinson (Political Editor at BBC) had to say:

I now learn that political reporters from the Tory-backing papers were called in one by one to discuss how Team Cameron would deal with "Cleggmania" and to be offered Tory HQ's favourite titbits about the Lib Dems - much of which appears in today's papers.

The key personal allegation about payments from donors into Nick Clegg's personal bank account came, however, from the Telegraph's expenses files. Incidentally, the party has now published details of Nick Clegg's bank statements and party accounts showing that Mr Clegg received payments totalling £19,690 from three businessmen (Neil Sherlock, Michael Young, Ian Wright) and then paid staff costs of £20,437.30 out of the same account. According to these figures, Mr Clegg actually paid £747.30 out of his own money towards staff costs.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Its good to see the trashy papers being exposed for what they really are, the hold no interest for me, a waste of trees and my time!