Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't think you'd think quite the same without the 'help' of the media and Gordon Brown making a big thing of DC's background. It has obviously worked though as a political ploy.
I'm generally willing to give anyone a chance, no matter what their background is I think the TV debate gave us a good glimpse of what they're really like - and DC just came across as disingenuous to me. Maybe he will turn it around in the next two debates tho (tho you know what they say about first impressions )
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 05:45 PM
What will the Lib Dems do about national security? I know they want to scrap Trident and the Eurofighter and hold a review, but what would they put in their place?

Also, what is their stance on the benefits system - anyone know? For instance, I know Labour have brought in this 'Fit Note' instead of 'Sick Note' thing and that they have tried to make it harder for people to get incapacity benefit ...
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I don't know about their benefits system but in line with what they say, I guess (and hope) it would be 'fair'. Hopefully we'll hear more about all of the parties views on it in the next debate.

Re trident...

The UK Trident programme, as far as I know, isn't our only nuclear deterrent - it is just our main submarine based one. So we'll still have nuclear weapons, just not as many. The reason people see it as deterrent is because it's always at sea (so easier to deploy) - but let's face it, the only time we'd ever use it if we were nuked first! And by that time I think all hell would break loose and the world would probably blow itself up as it'd be world war 3 - if nuclear weapons were ever used by any country.

I hope they make a point about us still being a nuclear country, and share any other plans they have. What I don't get is why does it cost SO much? Why can't we just cut it down or replace it with something equally effective but cheaper?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Just reading the times online, a poll done for them after the show has put the Libdems in the lead with 41% saying they would like to see Nick Clegg as PM.

After the debate 41 per cent said they would most like to see Mr Clegg as prime minister, against 36 per cent for Mr Cameron and 23 per cent for Mr Brown. As many as 68 per cent say it makes them more likely to vote for the Liberal Democrats.
I'm still in shock I didn't expect him to do as well. But am really glad he did.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-04-2010, 07:13 PM
For anyone who missed it, you can watch it online here:

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?...p=780100_123_1

Highly recommend it!!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Just reading the times online, a poll done for them after the show has put the Libdems in the lead with 41% saying they would like to see Nick Clegg as PM.

I'm still in shock I didn't expect him to do as well. But am really glad he did.
We live in hope
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

what i liked most was his refusal to get into the tory/labour bickering. his calm, honest demeanor just shone through.

DC seemed over confident,arrogant and he still has the Thatcher thought process looming in the background.Tories look after the rich by robbing the poor.
He also looked plastic on tv.....more like Ken without the Barbie!

GB looked smarmie and uncomfortable, and him smiling looked false.Unfortunatley Labour have run out of ideas.

I think Nick Clegg would be a good PM and a confident ambassador for this country.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
what i liked most was his refusal to get into the tory/labour bickering. his calm, honest demeanor just shone through.

DC seemed over confident,arrogant and he still has the Thatcher thought process looming in the background.Tories look after the rich by robbing the poor.
He also looked plastic on tv.....more like Ken without the Barbie!

GB looked smarmie and uncomfortable, and him smiling looked false.Unfortunatley Labour have run out of ideas.

I think Nick Clegg would be a good PM and a confident ambassador for this country.
I've heard this quite often lately and I have to say, I'm poorer in the past few years under Labour than I ever was under Conservative. My family also.

Just a point I wanted to make ;o)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 09:54 AM
I nthink most people are.

It is clever PR on ther part of labour.

People on benefits are better off probably.

rune
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I've heard this quite often lately and I have to say, I'm poorer in the past few years under Labour than I ever was under Conservative. My family also.

Just a point I wanted to make ;o)
Not so for me, we lost our home, jobs and received no help, thats lasted with me forever.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >