Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hobbit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 02:26 AM

Agility

Hi,

I might be moving back to the UK (Worthing West Sussex) and want to continue with my agility training.

Does anyone know of any good clubs (using positive response training) in this area?

I have been told that if I keep training my dog she could be a champion....I'm such a proud owner (and biased!).

Thanks
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 02:43 AM
This is the best place to start looking

http://www.agilitynet.com/activepages/clubs.asp

I`m an agility instructor myself who uses and advocates positive reward based training only which most agility clubs here work to anyway but as in all walks of life, some are better than others of course. I`d be happy to help if I can for you to find the most likely clubs to try if you want to check the list then pm me the names of any possible`s in the right area for you and I`ll ask around, but some I might know through reputation or from competing anyway if that helps, as will others on the forum who are on the circuit
Hobbit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Thanks that's really great...I will have a look tonight! Gotta get some work done, as I'm at work!!!

Really helpful thanks...just what I needed, feeling very lost and lonely out here in Oz!!! Trying to remind myself why I came....oh yes cause the hubby wanted to!
Hobbit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 03:03 AM
One more question!

Do you know where I can get a rule book for UK agility....want to make sure I'm training her correctly....there are two different sets of regulations depending on what club you are affiliated to - in Oz that is!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Here you go :

Kennel Club rules ;

[ word Doc files on clickable links, neatly laid out ]
http://www.inyourowntime.co.uk/hregs.aspx

UKA [ United Kingdom Agility ]
PDF file - not opening for me at the moment so if it does`nt open for you either I`ll get in touch with them and see if its a site fault ]

http://www.ukagility.com/Downloads/UKARegulations.pdf

BAA [ British Agility Association, independant but very popular and growing organisation ]
Click link on the index to the left [ BAA Rules ] then click for PDF or Word doc, whichever you prefer to use

http://www.baa.uk.net/index.html

There are many clubs who run independant shows other than BAA and UKA but they generally work to the KC regs

HTH
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 09:34 AM
I can recommend a couple of clubs in West Sussex.

I used to attend Mid Sussex Agility Club

http://www.midsussexagility.co.uk/index.html

However, prior to them fencing off the classes a dog charged at mine and he didn't feel confident to train there anymore but I do recommend the trainers highly - very reward based - and as I said they now section the classes off so that the only one dog is running in each class at a time and can't interact.

I now attend one in pyecombe and will pass the number to you when I locate it!!!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 10:40 AM
I believe that most of the instructors follow the positive response training, I know where we go they all do, but as with all forms of training what works for one dog, doesn't necessarily work for another, Jack loved his previous trainer and she worked wonders with him, but now we have moved up to the top group (proud mummy boast there ) well at least it's the more advanced group, Jack simply adores his new trainer (and pot of goodies ) and has complete confidence in her, and his big, HUGE, problem with the see-saw is now just a little plimp, and that's just down to how the instructor handles the situation differently

Good luck with your training, and if you move back to West Sussex, maybe one day our paths will cross
Christine
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
There are quite a few good clubs in Sussex. You would have to speak to them as quite a few clubs have waiting lists.
Hopefully see you at shows in the future.
Hobbit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2007, 04:07 AM
Thanks everyone that's great! I have high hopes of one day going to Crufts (even if it's just to watch hehe!), so there is no way I am even going to consider moving back without a good club.......so it's sounding good for my return....roll on cold wet windy weather.....believe me you can get tired of the sunshine!!! Let's hope there are spaces and our paths do cross.

Again thanks for your help.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 04:23 AM
If you can`t get in any of them because of waiting lists you could always move to Colchester instead
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >