Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Our throwaway society

Went to the tip AGAIN this morning with all the garden rubbish and this was my third trip since the week-end. It almost made me cry to see yet another humungous pile of rubbish being scraped up into the lorries, and I thought to myself, this is only a little town on the south coast, and every time I come here, it's constantly full up of c**p and it made me think about all the other tips around the country day after day after day being filled up! Where does it all go??? Why can't we burn it. Something is very wrong here that we're using our beautiful earth as a rubbish tip - when will it end? When will they find a solution? More and more people moving into our Country with more stuff to chuck away, it's pretty scary I think?
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 10:57 AM
I know, it always amazes me when I go to our tip, there's always a huge que to get in, and the amount of rubbish is mind boggling, but I guess it's better dumped there than on the roadsides or play parks or wood land, but like you I think something needs to be done, or the whole earth will one day be just land fill.

On a slightly different note, when I took Jack to meet Chris of the train last night, we walk home along the river, and the cr*p that was in there was awfull, plastic bottles, takeaway cartons, plastic bags, footballs, fizzy drink cans and that's just what I can remeber, this was not just in one spot, but all along the part of the river we walked along, which I guess took about 10-15 minutes, I was totally disgusted by it, these are ment to be a haven for wildlife not a potential death trap hummne rant over
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 11:00 AM
I think it should be compulsory to recycle. I recycle, my neighbour doesn't we are both single people. He fills his wheelie bin every two weeks I don't! I even recycle stuff that isn't roadside collected ,such as plastic bottles and cardboard. However, I think there is no excuse to not use the council roadside collection schemes even if you do nothing else!
Our tip recycles approximately 80% of the rubbish dumped there which is fantastic.
Becky
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 11:03 AM
we have a great tip/recyclingcentre here apparently 65 % of all the rubbish was recycled last year shame more councils don't do this.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Our council tip is very good too, plus we have different coloured bins for recyclable, rubbish, and glass.
There is something very satisfying about knowing you are doing your best to recycle.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 11:33 AM
My tip has all the recycling areas, glass, cardboard, metal, fridges, tv's etc. etc. There should be one for wood I think, because I asked the man where I could put pallets and he said, just chuck them over into the main household rubbish!!!! There were 3 piece suites piled high in good condition too, so why couldn't they have done what I did and put an advert in the local FREE to collector! Somebody who has no money and no furniture would be more than glad of it. I know the young girl who came for my settee was over the moon as she'd just moved into a council house with a youngster and couldn't afford one, but ended up with my old one more than happy to take it! Some people either don't think or are too damn lazy to think of others imo!

I stopped a woman who chucked over a big metal pram into the household waste, and I told her she could have put that in the metal bin which was right next door to where she had parked! Grrrrr. I even told the tip worker about her and he said, most people can't be bothered!!! That's why we're in the state we're in with our landfill then!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
They'll be the ones hit hardest when they tax people who don't recycle! With freecycle around too there should be no excuse for throwing things away that are in good working order.
Becky
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 11:39 AM
im proud to say i recy more than i throw away now, my recy wheely bin is normally full every 2 weeks, my rubbish bin only has 2 bin sacks in it.
our local tip sells alot of their good stuff. plus we belong to freecycle. id like my grandkids to be-able to breath and enjoy open spaces when they get older.
and we drive a small car, with low emmissions.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 02:53 PM
we recycle and give stuff on freecycle. we fill a big green wheelie bin to the top every fortnight...

sue
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 03:09 PM
i recycle as much as i can , but most of my neighbours dont , they just dump it in a field behind us for the councill to lift ,its so unrespnonsible how ppl dont care about the area they live in xxdk
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >