Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annaw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2013, 11:51 PM

Allergic Reaction to vapour rub

Has anyones else's dog had an allergic reaction to vapour rub? I have a bad cold at the moment and I was using vapour rub on my nose and feet.
My puglet Winston has woken up with a swollen forehead. (He sleeps at the side of our bed). The vapour rub is the only thing I have done done differently. Has anyone else had experience of this or could it be something more sinister?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Could he have bumped his head on something without you knowing?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2013, 07:53 AM
I think the camphor and menthol in these vapour rubs are known to cause a reaction especially if you get it iin your eyes. The fact that you put it on your feet (why???) means you have walked it over the floor surfaces where you dog lays down, it's all logical isn't it? Also, you could have had some on your hands still when you reached down to stroke your dog and it's irritated his eyes causing this swelling maybe?

I'm sure it's the vapour rub, but I would ring the vet and get it confirmed and take him down there if necessary. Good luck with him and your cold of course.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Well it is strong stuff - makes my eyes water! I too am intrigued to know why you put it on your feet?

I use cooling foot cream and that's a bit pepperminty - and Bella is mad for it and wants to lick it off. I have to get socks on quickly after applying it so she can't. I don't fancy it as a treat for her.

*She also licks sun protection cream but I don't think that is harmful as anything you put on your face has to pass same tests as foodstuffs.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Hope he's better now - and you too, of course.

I use coconut oil as a body moisturiser, and the dogs are always trying to lick that off.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
Hope he's better now - and you too, of course.

I use coconut oil as a body moisturiser, and the dogs are always trying to lick that off.
Not surprised - smells like lovely cocktails to me that stuff!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
My old Benny got a really nastily swollen eye when we used it on one of the kids a few years ago, vet said it was a reaction to the ingredients which to be fair they do say keep away from eyes.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi It could be what Helena said,but also could have been bitten by an insect,because one of my dogs suddenly had a swelling on their head and then the eyes became swollen,took them to the vet,he reckoned that it was a reaction to a bite,or a scratch from a cat (at the time we had 9 feral cats) and the vet told us that cats have lots of nasty bugs which could result in a reaction.Gemini54
Annaw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
I used it on my feet to stop me from from coughing in the night. I didnt walk around after putting it on ..I went straight to bed. But I may have had some on my hands. Poor little guy. He has been through so much and now I've done this to him . Can you give a dog benydryl? ?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Yes you can give a dog Benadryl, BUT, I would ring and ask advice from your vet first, because giving something like that IF he has an allergic reaction might make him worse? Don't know, but I always err on the side of caution.

Ask your vet if you can perhaps give him Piriton which might be a better option?

Good luck and please let us know how he is. Vets never mind you ringing them for advice and it won't cost you anything and you can stay in bed with your bad cold.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >