View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Is one to one training the best option for my dog?

I have just found a trainer locally that does 1 to 1 training! What are peoples thought on this?
As I said in Lotties thread about it being hard to tell off a puppy and it turning out to be a bably behaved adult.
I have been lax with my ones esp Molly. She has become a real handful and it is all my fault! Her main problem being, a Jekyll and Hyde recall! She is perfect throughout the walk, comes immediately and sits at my feet until she knows the walk is coming to an end and then she goes deaf or worse. She has on a number of occassions stopped and looked at me when I have called and then turned in the other direction and run off!
No treat is interesting enough at this time, hiding does not work, lying on floor etc etc. I vary the route, but the area is the same.
I have been told she probably does not see me as alpha person, and I am starting to work on that.
Just wondering what peoples thought are on 1 to 1 training. I realise it will be me she is training not the dog!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Look at it from mollys point of view, she sees you are coming to the end of the walk, she wants to continue, you call her, she comes , then she gets put on lead and you go home, she has very quickly sussed out that when she comes to you at the end of the walk, its home time. What id suggest was recalling her, lots of time on your walk, at varying times, ie beginning middle end of the walk, putting her on a lead and then letting her off lead again, the biggest reward for a dog is being able to run free again!

I would be inclined to try this before going to a 1:1 trainer, above all, to save money!

Good luck!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2005, 11:43 PM
It depends on what other problems you are having apart from the recall which, as Gems has said, can usually be fixed easily with the 'come, reward, lead on, lead off' method.

One-to-one training is excellent for some issues but, in general, a class situation (small class) is preferable for the socialization side of training - and usually a lot less expensive
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2005, 05:32 PM
I have now had 2 sessions of one to one training with Molly and the change is amazing! It is clicker training (I am sooo uncoordinated it is embarrassing! ), and we are getting there.
She is now much more focused on me rather than all other smells, dogs, people etc etc. Walking has become relaxing (almost) again.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2005, 10:22 PM
That is excellent

The co-ordination will come quite quickly and will be second nature to you before you know it