Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
col72
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-09-2015, 07:42 PM

Ear infection and deafness

13 year old border collie got ear infection and gone deaf has this ever happened to anyone else did the hearing come back got drops off the vets thanks
col72
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Had her to vets both ears have a infection and 1 is full of wax proper full on the canal just hoping she gets hearing back
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2015, 02:20 PM
She may or may not get full hearing back so start using hand signals when you are out and about, also keep on lead in places that aren't familiar to her. Or even sometimes in familiar places in case she gets spooked. Bless her.
col72
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-09-2015, 05:39 PM
She's happy in her self has anyone any ideas how long a infection can last forgot to ask the vet she's on her 2nd bottle of drops
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Depends how deep seated the infection is and how far down the ear canal the wax goes. If in doubt ring and ask to speak to the vet. Are these canaural drops? There should be a leaflet in the box that gives guidelines.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2015, 10:23 PM
If the infection isn't clearing, the vet can do some swabs to make sure they use an antibiotic that the infection will respond to.
i had a very bad ear infection a few years back...the consultant left me without appropriate treatment and i am now deaf in that ear...the infection can damage the nerve, hopefully your dogs hearing may come back once the inflammation subsides
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-09-2015, 10:48 PM
Fingers crossed it will get sorted but if it becomes an issue......

Skye (totally) and Fingal (partially) both went deaf. It was just through age and to be fair nothing much changed.

A wee tap rather than a call to get them up from sleeping but once awake it became an amazing situation.

Hand gestures, Cock of an eyebrow, tilt of the head, smile, hand out - visual communication was brilliant. You'd be amazed how much you do it already so it's not a giant leap.

The best thing I found was that the dogs kept me in eye shot all the time. It was like they wanted to keep the lines of communication open themselves so stayed with me.

My Breagh was young when Skye and Fingal went deaf and she learned from them. I can quite easily communicate with her without the younger two (Mij and Willow) even knowing.

I think there's a lot to be said for silent commands even with young dogs.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2015, 10:14 AM
I taught one of my collies by signals and verbal. Useful when I was in an obedience ring in a noisey building. Doesn't take long for them to learn. Hope your collie is ok.