Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 01:36 PM

Time off work ?

Do you ever have to ask for time off work because of dog issues, I have just asked if I can have 2 hours off on 13th when Betty has her operation so she doesn't need to be left alone after it, I offered to make up the time later that night so basically instead of starting at 5.30pm I would go in at 9pm and you would imagine I was asking for the moon on a stick from the interrogation and general attitude of my boss.

If it was usual I took time off I could understand it but this (apart from holiday entitlement) I have asked to take off this year at all.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2013, 01:43 PM
I've had time off because of the dog but to be honest I work flexi time so I'm more able to do so.

When my last dog was ill I did go home for that and that was okay and the rest of the time I was off with her I used annual leave.

I guess it can depend on the type of work you do, some smaller organisations may find it more difficult to find cover etc.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm terrible for going early for vet appts etc or coming in late, I am very lucky that my boss is fine as long as I don't take the Michael
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm lucky I work for my OH & I'm able to do a lot of my job from home as I've just had the last 6 weeks off to look after one of our dogs (cruciate surgery). He's had our other dog at work with him which has been a godsend. If I was still nursing I don't know how we would have managed.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 02:33 PM
It's many years since I had to 'ask' for time off as I work hours and days to suit me.

However when I was employed and going in to work, if there was anything REALLY important that I wanted time off for - like that or a concert or sport day for one of my kids. I did not take the risk that they might say no. After all, ASKING for permission implies they can or cannot give it? I'd just mumble summat about not feeling too bright and then ring in with some total fib about having to go to the dentist with toothache or whatever.

The last time I spoke to an employer putting them on notice that I'd be taking a week off sometime 'during October' because my son was arranging quickly to get married before going off to work in Cayman Islands but hadn't got the exact date, was when I worked as a Quality Auditor for a food production company. They actually said that I might not be able to take the time then as we had a big EFSIS inspection for Tesco coming up sometime in Oct and by law the Auditor has to be on the premises.

I promptly said 'let me rephrase that then - please accept one month's notice to quit from me effective as of today - if you think I'd miss my eldest son's wedding for this poxy job you are insane! You are supposed to employ TWO of us but have been leaving it all to me since sacking the last one. I might and might not be available after that! Wouldn't mind but I was informing them about 2 months in advance!

They immediately agreed I could take the time off. Stupid idiots.