Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:03 AM

Planning on spending some time training

Ok, so now I have some time on my hands, I've got time to work with Dougal. So thought I'd try training him, he's really good as it is but I would like to get him to heel properly, stay, fetch. Stuff like that.

My first question is should I start a session before or after a walk? I'm never too sure. Also, what hand signals can I use for things like drop or heel, as you know he is deaf so hand signals will obviously work better.

All suggestions are very welcome It's just something to keep both of us occupied.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:17 AM
There are some useful ideas for hand signals in the deaf dog part of the dfordog website - I've attached the link, though as they also have a forum it might be removed...if it is, just search dfordog and on the left hand side of their website is a link to their deaf dog section

http://www.dfordog.com/deafdogs_signals.htm

As for whether to train before or after a walk - training should (at least at first) be short sessions of no more than 5 minutes, several times a day, so there is no reason why you couldn't do some before and after the walk.

However, training will be most productive when he is alert enough to be interested in what you are doing but not so hyper that he can't focus. Also, avoid training straight after feeding him as this is probably when he will be least interested!

Good luck, let us know how you both get on
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Just to say, just had a quick look on that website and one signal which they don't have and which I think is important is the 'well done' or 'correct' signal to let him know when he is doing something right.

For this I know of people who use the thumbs up and others who use the the 'ok' (thumb and index finger joined to form a circle with the other three fingers splayed out)
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:23 AM
I have to walk Flynn before I train him otherwise he gets too hyper and things dont go so well! Jed is different as he has such low energy levels anyway so I make sure I dont walk him.

You just have to judge your dog, perhaps try both ways and see what works best.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I think it depends on the kind of training you want to do....for example - there is no point trying to teach stays before a walk - but exciting stuff, like fetch might be better when he has more energy....

Go with the flow

As for hand signals....think about what comes naturally to you - and think about how to make them clear to you dog.

I have a guy with a Deaf pom in my classes, he uses very odd signals - but he is consistent - and it works

Have fun