Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chins01
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2017, 03:50 AM

Sudden Deafness After Groomer Visit??

After our pup went to the groomer yesterday he's been unresponsive to any sounds that would normally get him excited (his name, the doorbell, the food container shaking etc). Could they have done something to cause hearing loss?? Could it be water in his ears or something simple and reversible? He's already blind so we really hope the hearing loss is not permanent.

We're going to schedule an appointment with the vet as soon as they open on Monday but I'm not sure how this could have happened and what we can do. He's an older dog so it's possible we may not have noticed early signs of hearing loss but he was definitely responding to things like the doorbell, the dog food container shaking etc. in the days leading up to the groomer visit. He's still excited about food, people at the door etc. it just takes him a lot longer to realize it's there now.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2017, 11:06 AM
It is possible that the heat and soapy water has caused the wax in his ears to move or to swell. As he is an elderly chap, I would leave it for the vet to investigate tomorrow. Hopefully it is not going to be permanent change.
chins01
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Thank you. I'm glad to hear there is a chance this could be temporary. We called the emergency vet yesterday and they said to wait and bring him in to our regular vet on Monday so we are just anxiously waiting to find out what could have caused this.
Chris Kelly
New Member!
Male 

17-11-2017, 07:08 PM
I see this is an old post, but how is your dog doing? I am just worried! Maybe your dog is injured or traumatized? And definitely change the grooming place to somewhere else!
chins01
New Member!
Female 

18-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Thanks for checking up! He's currently on antibiotics in case he has an ear infection although the vet did not see signs of one and couldn't figure out the cause of the sudden hearing loss. He has re-gained a little hearing and is responding to some sounds but it's not consistent. He still can't hear more distant sounds like the doorbell (which is really loud), or people entering the house, but he is responding to voice commands from us if we're right next to him. We think he can hear but the sounds may be very muffled.

He seems to be adjusting, although he's gotten more vocal and will suddenly start barking from time to time, which was very rare previously. We're not sure if it's anxiety, confusion, or if it's just that he can't hear himself when this happens.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2017, 02:38 PM
I am wondering if there is some very deep seated wax which can only be seen by exray. It may dislodge itself but possibly not if that is the problem. Hope he hears better soon.
chins01
New Member!
Female 

19-11-2017, 04:41 AM
The vet couldn't see any obstructions or fluid. They said he if he seems unbalanced or develops a head-tilt that they'd want to do a CT scan. He's got about a week and a half more on the antibiotics and then we're going to re-evaluate so i'll definitely ask if they think wax could be lodged deep inside his ear and if an x-ray would be helpful.

The vet did think that a hearing issue may have already been there and that something at the groomer may have aggravated it to the point where it was noticeable since the groomer cleaned and plucked his ears.