Our sister sites
sigem
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2008, 08:03 AM

Westie with Allergies and skin issues

Hello all,

hope somebody can offer help!!!

Our Westie is 2 and a half and he has recently been suffering from really bad scabby skin. We first noticed the problems where he was licking his paws constantly, took him to the vet and they said it was a bacterial infection and gave him MALASEB shampoo. Then about a month ago we noticed the scabby skin and what we thought as stuck food in his 'beard'. this turned out to be dried pussey discharge from under his chin. There was a greasy strip down his back and lots of scabs on his lower back.
We went back to the vets and he had an allergy test and was found to be allegic to Potato, rice, beef, lamb, pork, oats, soya bean, barley, yeast and has malasezia.
We have only ever fed him on Burns or james Wellbeloved and eats lots of fresh chicken. We have never really give him red meat as he seemed to turn his nose up at it!

The allergies were delayed types and developed over months. He is very miserable and grumpy and not playful at all.

We now feed him on Tuna, chicken and fresh veg and have got him Royal canin sensitive biscuits which he munches during the day.....!

Any thoughts on how to get rid of the scabs and does anyone know about any other food out there.

Also are there any supplements we can get and give him.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 09:28 AM
hiya i had a westie cross & as i know they can get alleriges/skin disorders i feed him james well beloved, it has no poo in it! lol no aditives raelly good stuff!

also fish4dogs is good as well have started giving it to my cat!

oh also you said you feed him tuna, do you give him tuna in brine? as that has lots of salt and can dry his skin out and make him more thirsty (as i read) so i only used to give tuna in oil & sardines in oil for the omega 3/6/9 for his skin

heres the link for James well & fish4

fish4dogs:
http://www.fish4dogs.com/

james well:
http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/ero...QwodkVo-Eg#1X0

free samples
http://www.wellbeloved.com/
sigem
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Thank you for your advice. i will look at the tuna.

i checked the links but all the ingredients have potato or yeast......the things he cant have. but thank you anyway..

MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 09:42 AM
oh no really??? the james well is meant to be for westies........says it on it!! ill look around for some more!

This????????

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...utrition/46039

also this might be good:
http://www.westhighlandwhite.co.uk/
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your little Westie.

My sister's Westie has suffered from this since being a pup, she is now 6 years old, now all she can eat is fresh boiled chicken with a small amount of vegatables, and kibble. They have been back and forth to the vets over the 6 years and this is all that seems to help.
She does have Piriton which has been prescribed by the vet and once a week a salt bath, which seems to help the skin. Everything my sister uses is natural, and she did have the Malaseb shampoo, but I think she found it little help. She uses tea tree shampoo and Alovera.

Hope you get it sorted
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
I too have a westie...and as lovely as they are... She does have skin problems... I feed her on sensisitve dry food mixed with Wainwright pouches as these are hypoallergenic. I bath her in a coal tar based dermalogical shampoo when necessary, and she has a supplement in her dinner everyday to help with her skin!

All in all this is rather inexpensive as she is a little dog, and is definately worth it. Her skin is looking a little more red this week than usual, but she isnt scratching, so i am just going to keep an eye on it, it could have been that she helped herself to some of my collies food the other day when i wasnt looking!

But I would definately recommend changing the diet and looking at a skin supplement, it may just be a case of trial an error with the food though, i know it took me about 3 months to get her settled an into a routine.

Good luck any more westie questionsand I can help as much as poss, I have had them all my life!!

xx
Lyns
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi not sure if this will help my friend at work has two westies she had some skin problems with her two, she told me that she gave them a little goats milk each night and this helped to clear it, it maybe worth a try nothing to lose
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
HI You could try giving him spinnach liquidised in a little olive oil and sprinkle a couple of dessert spoonfulls over his meal -not an instant cure, but one which over a period of six or so weeks worked for my dachie when he hasd skin allergies. It was recommended by many people in the Jane Lilley Column in Dog World over the year. Let me know if you try it and how you get on.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Good advice from all already.

Gentle oatmeal shampoo seems to be good for the scabs, and you could also add Kronch Salmon Oil to his food. Or Evening Primrose and Starflower Oil.

I had forgotten about this but when I was at Crufts this year, I got speaking to the people who own Quistel (it started at the hotel as we stayed in the same one):

http://www.quistel.com/information/i...page=groom-dog

My friend and I spoke to them for ages, both at Crufts and at the hotel and they told us all about their products, shampoos etc and I also seen pictures of before and afters and what an improvement in the skin and coats of these dogs. Many, of course, are Westies! The younger one was a dog groomer.

If my Westie ever got skin conditions (touch wood she won't) I'll be trying this, instead of Malaseb. Though Malaseb is great.

All the best and hope this helps.

ETA, here are some pictures of the Westie:

http://www.quistel.com/index.php?page=news
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Lyns View Post
Hi not sure if this will help my friend at work has two westies she had some skin problems with her two, she told me that she gave them a little goats milk each night and this helped to clear it, it maybe worth a try nothing to lose
Hmm, I'd be a bit dubious about this. Not sure about the ins and outs of goats milk but it's still a dairy product and adult dogs don't have the enzymes to digest dairy products properly and this could lead to irritations, even though it's gentler than cows milk. Though it seems to be fine for young puppies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >