Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 08:21 AM

Jack has muscle strain

Hi guys

I'm hoping you can give me some advice please, earlier this year in the snow Jack fell over and tore a muscle in his chest, we didn't notice this to start with, as he didn't wince or limp, he just carried on as usual, until we did agility, when it became obvious that things were quite right, we took him to have Bowen therapy, which seemed to work and we had the old Jack back, but it only lasted a couple of weeks, and now he seems to be back to square one again, we are going to try the 'Back on Track' dog coat and complete rest, no agility, no off lead runs etc. in the hope that this will work, as we've heard brilliant things about the 'Back on Track' coat.

What I was wondering was, if any of you have any ideas that may work for him, anything we could try, his back is very twitchy when you touch it, as if he has tender spots, he certainly has hot spots, any advice would be very gratefully received

Thank you
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Have you got a local Chiropractor - or physio that deals with Animals?

We have 2 brilliant ones who work together down here.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 09:20 AM
No advice, Christine, just some hugs for you and the delicious Jack. Hope he's back to his normal self soon x0x0x
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Have you got a local Chiropractor - or physio that deals with Animals?

We have 2 brilliant ones who work together down here.
Thanks Tassle , we've not tried either one of those, but the Bowen Therapy is quite similar (I think), but it's something to look into

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
No advice, Christine, just some hugs for you and the delicious Jack. Hope he's back to his normal self soon x0x0x
Thanks Vicki hug delivered and gratefully received

We picked up the 'Back on Track' coat yesterday for him, and he wore it for a few hours, per the instructions, and last night he was like a different dog, he must have played for 5 hours solid, and not just gentle play, but rough, tough boys stuff with Christopher, we were told we would see almost instant results, but didn't quite believe it, if his playfulness last night was down to the coat, goodness knows what he's going to be like after 2-3 weeks
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 10:39 AM
No idea what a back on track coat is but glad it worked! But I would avoid letting him have proper roughty toughty play sessions for a while although its very easy to let them do it when they feel good but could prolong his recovery?

Id stick with keeping him as quiet as possible for the time being whilst letting the BoT coat continue the good work.

My boys pulled muscle ended up taking over 3 months to heal as i kept 'giving in' when i thought it was getting better.

keep up the good work
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
My boys pulled muscle ended up taking over 3 months to heal as i kept 'giving in' when i thought it was getting better.
Wow - 3 months!
Now I'm worried - Stone is on is 2nd week of rest after suspected torn muscles in his elbow/shoulder - he finishes his pain meds today so will see what he is like the rest of the week. I was hoping to get back to agility next weekend, now I'm thinking I should leave it longer....
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Thank you for your replies

Well, things have not improved at all for him so we took him to the vets yesterday, the good news is he doesn't think there is anything seriously wrong, but he seems to think that rather than it being a shoulder/chest thing it more his neck he has to have complete rest, no zoomies up and down the stairs, no jumping off the sofa/bed, out of the car, well nothing that causes an impact landing, he also has some Metacam to take.

We have to go back to see him in a fortnight (or sooner, if we're worried) and if things haven't improved at all, then he'll have to have an xray, but he didn't want to do it this time, as he doesn't think it'll show up anything, especially if it's something like arthritis or rheumatism, as it's in the very early stages and wont show up yet.

Jack was great at vets, we thought that after his last visit when he had to have a rectal exam, that he'd be very wary, but no, he dashed to meet the vet under the table, who is brilliant, then when he was examining him, all Jack wanted to do was try and sit on his lap and lick his ear , I know it was his 'escape' but it did make the vet laugh

Fingers crossed for my boy please, he spent the night in his cage, so he wouldn't jump up, or more so, jump down from the bed/sofa, but he did take his Metacam with no problems
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 07:49 AM
oh poor Jack, he'll not take kindly to being kept from jumping around will he!

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery...for all your sakes!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks Fiona

This isn't going to be easy, just turned my back for a second, looked round and there he was up on the sofa and he keeps coming up to me nudging me with his toys and that pathetic 'aren't I cute but neglected, come play with me' look