Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2015, 03:24 PM

Leg ulcers

I just wondered if anyone on here has leg ulcers that don't heal?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2015, 05:07 PM
I do not have them, but my dad is diabetic and he knicked his leg with his fishing knife once and it took ages to heal. Diabetics and heart patients like my dad have severe healing trouble. If you're not actually breaking your own skin, and the ulcers are just appearing, it might be autoimmune or something.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Hi Alison my Dad was a type one diabetic and frequently had leg ulcers. He often got them on his shins where the skin was paper thin and easily knocked.

They were dressed by the district nurse with a variety of things from seaweed to manuka honey and healed eventually .
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Their management depends on whether they are venous or arterial ulcers.
Venous ulcers are less painful, any pain is eased by elevating the leg, where as an arterial ulcer is very painful and the pain is eased by leaving the leg down.
There is a possibility that an ulcer is a mixture of arterial and venous ulcer. This makes treating and healing more difficult.
Many things contribute to leg ulcers, some associated with lifestyle.
A practice nurse should be able to diagnose, advise and treat.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I do not have them, but my dad is diabetic and he knicked his leg with his fishing knife once and it took ages to heal. Diabetics and heart patients like my dad have severe healing trouble. If you're not actually breaking your own skin, and the ulcers are just appearing, it might be autoimmune or something.
I'm like your Dad mjfromga, mine was caused when I took the dog out for a walk and I was on my mobility scooter, a blasted prickly shrub got under my calf and scratched it.

I'm not diabetic or have heart problems, like you're dad, it will take ages to heal.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hi Alison my Dad was a type one diabetic and frequently had leg ulcers. He often got them on his shins where the skin was paper thin and easily knocked.

They were dressed by the district nurse with a variety of things from seaweed to manuka honey and healed eventually .
Hello Meg, my ulcers are around the back of my leg. I have had manuka honey on it at one time. Asti kept sniffing around my leg
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Their management depends on whether they are venous or arterial ulcers.
Venous ulcers are less painful, any pain is eased by elevating the leg, where as an arterial ulcer is very painful and the pain is eased by leaving the leg down.
There is a possibility that an ulcer is a mixture of arterial and venous ulcer. This makes treating and healing more difficult.
Many things contribute to leg ulcers, some associated with lifestyle.
A practice nurse should be able to diagnose, advise and treat.
Thanks Nippy, they haven't said what sort I've got, I reckon I've got a mixture of both. I'm going to have bandage compression soon.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Asti View Post
Hello Meg, my ulcers are around the back of my leg. I have had manuka honey on it at one time. Asti kept sniffing around my leg
Mmmm no doubt

Manuka Honey seemed to work for Dad . This was some years ago, it was difficult to get hold of at that time hardly anyone had heard of it ..
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2015, 01:50 PM
People who are not immunosuppressed such a diabetics or people with weak hearts should not have problems healing. Do you have any idea why your sores and scratches don't heal well? If not, a doctor's visit and a blood panel may be a good idea. There was a guy who didn't know he had diabetes until he cut his toe and nearly lost his foot and/or life from infection and necrosis.