Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 12:54 PM

A Husky for non dog owners:)

Roan (Husky) (shown in AOV Marked)

A strikingly marked bi-colour variety, with roan colouration, symmetry and contrast being important impressions. Clearly distinct from existing marked varieties. Husky Roans are born solid coloured, but from the age of about 4-6 weeks they start to exhibit roaning.
This is a steady increase in the amount of white hairs intermingled with the solid colour, starting with the face, sides and tail root on the juvenile, then working its way up to the nape of the neck with the moult. With each moult the rat becomes progressively lighter, the final effect not really complete until the rat is well into adulthood. The roan effect is most pronounced on the face, around the rump and the sides.

I used to breed and show rats.. but this colour is new to me How beautiful.. I know what I shall suggest to the next person who loos at my Kismet and says I've always wanted a Husky, but have never had a dog before... Huskies not good first time dogs... Try one of these first, work up
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 01:07 PM
We used to have a mink Husky but she was sooooo pale she looked like a black eyed white when she got her adult coat. We called her flake.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 01:11 PM
I suppose y twin girls Holly and mistletoe were more this Husky, they were showed as youngsters as capped, but as they got older their caps sort of spread down their backs and made this sort of a marking.... I miss my rats. Never a dull moment. Never knew what you were going to get... Holly's litter with Jack Skelington (Black eyed white) produced all lovely badgers and three agoutis! But then Brooklyn one of her badger boys fathered all caps
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I used to love breeding and showing my rats, my Siamese was a right stunner and always won her class. She was a happy little soul as well.

We only have the one boy now and he isn't very nice and likes to be left alone. I think i would have to be more careful if we were to rehome a rat again. All mine were handled from day one so they got used to my smell and left me silly tame.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 01:21 PM
I prided myself on breeding fr size (I do love a big strong boy) and temperament first and colour a bonus. I handled all from fuzzys so all were people oriented and silly tame and I would always take them back. I only once had two boys brought back. Spike and Pestilence, but they came back in a too small cage and no longer tame. I felt awful. They had seemed such a lovely family, butthe rats had been forgotten when they got a puppy and now the Father was being shipped abroad and all the pest were seeking new homes... Made me wonder about all the other babies I had never heard from again... Talk about guilt!

For a while I stopped breeding and only rescued but then... er... I got a puppy
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Since we have gotten Cassie it has proved difficult to give the rats enough time running round. I'm always so worried Cassie will come bounding in after one of us (the rats live in the spare room and have free run time) enters and then it will be bye bye rats or rather rat now

I think when he passes we will just have the dogs and the fish for a bit. Saying that though i would love to get a cat, but again i just don't trust cassie
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
I can't see the pic but I found it on NFRS site
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Husky Rats are my favourite - I have 3 at the moment - recently lost my beloved Martin

Graham

Tom as a baby

Martin as a baby

after his first show

This one shows how much his colour altered as he roaned out ..

and shortly before we lost him - he was almost white - Tom is now pure white (with a pink bit which is strawberry mousse stain!)

Baby Stuart meets a husky

He was so cute as a baby
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Oh yummy ratties

Is Loon a husky?
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 12:41 AM