Our sister sites
Our sister sites
htar
New Member!
Male 

24-12-2008, 11:56 AM

he's a cutie.. until he eats his poo

Hi geezers and geezettes,

just got a new pup and he is too cute for words. He is a pomeranian spitz and just 3 months old, the thing is he's eating his poo. I know thats pretty disgusting if your a human but apparently for dogs its pretty normal. Ive never had a dog before and am concerned about his health. Ive bought some calcium tablets as ive read that poo eating can be due to a calcium deficiancy. Ive got to also start to train him to go outside! Im sure that this is probably the most common thread but i need help. The thing is at night when he poos, he walks in it and then eats it! so he leaves lovely little poo paw marks all over the axminster! I've set my alarm for every two hours to let him out but catching him at the right time is tricky! I've a big back garden which he loves and I live a 2 minute walk down to the beach so getting him outdoors isnt an issue.
Help, ive got the vanish in my hand as I type!!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Selkie went through this phase as well when she was a pup and with a big white fluffy Samoyed believe me no fun at all... You're quite right it's perfectly normal, just gross!

I tried everything... then on advice from an old boy on the field, I tried making up a foul tasting spray, washing up liquid, pepper and chillies and vinegar in an old spritz. As soon as she went toilet, I sprayed the poo.. Was hilarious the first time she tried eating her poo... she spat straight back out and rushed in for a drink of water. Just make sure everything in the spray is not actually poisonous, just horrible...

The vet also had tablets he could give me that made the poo taste bad, but this was cheaper and easier.

They grow out of it
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi there.

As you say, you really need to teach him to go outside. there are various ways to housetrain, one option, which may particularly save your carpet, would be to crate train.

There are a couple of useful articles under the 'Articles' section ....

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552

Its been awhile since I house trained a pup, but with my most recent rescue adult who wasn't house trained, I just kept taking her out regularly and praising her when she did it outside. I'd also 'monitor her functions' so that I knew when she last peed/pooed before going to bed (and basically I didn't go to bed until I knew she'd been).

Good luck, he sounds a really sweetie despite this less endearing habit
htar
New Member!
Male 

24-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the tips, ive just printed the articles on crate training, and im just about to concoct a poo spray, washing up liquid and chilli sounds good! Ive just added a pic
Thanks again
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 01:16 PM
In regards to the poo eating Poppy is still determined to eat hers not matter what we do. I am at my wits ends with her. I have tried pineapple that worked for a while but I guess she just got used it, we then bought some tablets and they worked for a bit but now she is back eating her poo!
Haven't tried the homemaed remedy I think I will have to try that one too
Elaine x