View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2008, 09:22 AM
I'll be at the Lauder WT on Friday - would love to meet anyone going ... If anyone would like to meet up, then please let me know - you can pm me if you like.

I'm would also like a tracking partner, but I'm afraid I've not done any tracking before so can't bring any experience with me
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
I'll be at the Lauder WT on Friday - would love to meet anyone going ... If anyone would like to meet up, then please let me know - you can pm me if you like.

I'm would also like a tracking partner, but I'm afraid I've not done any tracking before so can't bring any experience with me
Hi skilaki,

Thanks for the reply, you're located in the central belt if memory serves me and you have recently gotten yourself a rather nice dog from Margaret and Ulf?

No experience - no matter! Me neither really but I have a dog and the will Probably have enough to get on with though, it's getting another to lay the track and vice versa - has your dog done any tracking at all or any scent games?
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I wish I was nearer to you ...I used to do this years ago and really enjoyed it. I even still have the old tracking harness (part of me couldn't let it go lol!!)

I'm thinking of giving it ago myself just for fun with Marius, but it isn't as good doing it on your own!!
Hi Anne-Marie

Shame you're not closer, tracking can be a lot of fun but I agree, not quite so much fun when you are on your own. Maybe you can find someone closer to where you are, likewise for myself. All the best!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I just wondered if anyone could tell me how to get into tracking? I'd love to try it with Isla, but don't live anywhere near Scotland!
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi ripsnorterthe2nd,

Not living in Scotland is probably a blessing! Probably the best route is to get in touch with the kc working trials and find the club closest to you or workingtrials.co.uk lots of info on there to help you get started. All the best
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Hi ripsnorterthe2nd,

Not living in Scotland is probably a blessing! Probably the best route is to get in touch with the kc working trials and find the club closest to you or workingtrials.co.uk lots of info on there to help you get started. All the best

Thanks for that, will have a look.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi Magic

Thanks for the comments on Cox. I don't have him yet though. I don't think he has done any tracking or scent games. If you have a dog and the will that's more than enough lol! I've sent you a pm
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi,

We're certainly interested in getting our Beagle involved in something like this. Being a Beagle what she'd really love is drag hunting and we are trying (without much success so far) to drum up some interest.

But tracking would be great for her too. We've done little bits and pieces from books and videos and she picks it up very quickly. We started her on 'scrub tracks' where we'd trample the grass with our feet and lay little trails for her to follow. She was superb at it. We started putting her breakfast out in the garden and laying a track to it. As soon as we let her out she'd pick up the scent immediately and zoom along the track at high speed finding her food every time. Then after about week she'd go to the back door, put her nose in the air and then head straight for her dinner. I guess air scenting was more efficient than tracking

Anyway, we're in Glasgow, but already we travel up to Kincardine Bridge every Sunday to take her Beagle racing (chasing a lure, whippet-style). So we're certainly interested in hearing how things go. Our biggest concern with our pup is letting her off lead in unfamiliar surroundings as once she picks up a scent her ears switch off! Do you keep yours on lead for tracking?
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi Scarter

Your beagle sounds like a natural tracker and being a beagle, I'm sure he will enjoy more challenging tracks. Don't worry about your Beagle having to be off lead, as tracks are usually done on a long line and harness, and you start off close to your dog to give him confidence and encouragement.

This thread has been great it seems to have brought a lot of people interested in tracking in Scotland together.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I will be at the WT at Lauder probably on Friday, but unfortunately I don't know what time I will get there due to other commitments.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >