Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 09:17 PM

They finally caught a rabbit

As most of you know, I actively encourage my dogs to hunt. Well today they finally caught a rabbit

Luca caught a mouse this morning while ignoring the pheasant that took off in front of her (I must reminder her that mice aren't that palatable )

I'm quite pleased with them even though my youngest daughter doesn't seem to think so
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 09:57 PM
aww thats brilliant first catch well done to your babe are they having it or are you going to have it
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover View Post
aww thats brilliant first catch well done to your babe are they having it or are you going to have it
I let them have it 'on site' so to speak. They ripped the fur off and ate some of the back leg and that was it All they did then was take it in turns to guard it
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I thought it was illegal to hunt with dogs,correct me if I'm wrong.I am out with the Rotts regular and it would freak me out if they caught one.Maybe I'm just a big woose eh?
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Its illegal to hunt with more than one dog, but if your just walking your dogs and one happens to catch a rabbit then that just tuff on that rabbit.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 11:30 PM
They left some . Blimey! Loki just quaffs the lot.

I don't encourage my dog to hunt, far from it - I worry he'll turn his attention to the local cat population.

However he seems to be a natural hunter and when he did get a rabbit it was literally a case of 'down in one, down in one... etc.'.

I was mortified but to him it was natural.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Well done to your crew, Corrie - how lovely to see dogs behaving like their ancestors
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
I thought it was illegal to hunt with dogs,correct me if I'm wrong.I am out with the Rotts regular and it would freak me out if they caught one.Maybe I'm just a big woose eh?
I think there has to be intent? I don't think rabbits come under the law though as I think they are classed as pests. I prefer the easy way for mine, a guy at work shoots them and cleans them up and brings them in for me ready to eat so to speak (that's the dogs not me LOL) He said that he will be shooting them until Christmas or he runs out of rabbits and there are a LOT about at the moment.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
This is on private land with written permission to hunt and shoot on. The field belongs to the property that I live in

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Well done to your crew, Corrie - how lovely to see dogs behaving like their ancestors
Thanks Vicki

Originally Posted by colliemad View Post
I think there has to be intent? I don't think rabbits come under the law though as I think they are classed as pests. I prefer the easy way for mine, a guy at work shoots them and cleans them up and brings them in for me ready to eat so to speak (that's the dogs not me LOL) He said that he will be shooting them until Christmas or he runs out of rabbits and there are a LOT about at the moment.
Rabbits don't come under the hunting law as far as I'm aware. There so many rabbits here at the moment it's more of controlling the population
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Rabbits don't come under the hunting law as far as I'm aware. There so many rabbits here at the moment it's more of controlling the population
I didn't think they did Two of mine will chase them, I think Sol would definitely kill one and he has been close to catching them on several occasions, they seem to like darting through his legs and he has turned so fast after them that he has fallen over Kel has been close loads of times and certainly fast enough but he goes into herding mode and then when peter goes to ground terrified he barks at the hole because he won't come out and play Very embarrasing really. The guy at work that brought me 20 in yesterday said there huge numbers about this year, more than he's seen for a while so I can have a supply of fresh fluffy bunny for some time yet........ Deef chases the other two chasing rabbits and pretends he's interested but really such things are beneath him he likes his prepared and fresh handed to him by me
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »