View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 10:16 AM
I wasn't particularly offended either. My only thoughts were that the dogs looked extremely fit, but that there definitely wasn't enough food there for all 100. However, this surely must happen several times a day to get those dogs looking in such peak condition. I didn't consider the whip to be a threat either. More of a signal. None of the dogs seemed scared - just very well trained. A bit like my three, who will sit for a plate of chicken.....

Agree it should be in working dogs section though.

Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I wasn't particularly offended either. My only thoughts were that the dogs looked extremely fit, but that there definitely wasn't enough food there for all 100. However, this surely must happen several times a day to get those dogs looking in such peak condition. I didn't consider the whip to be a threat either. More of a signal. None of the dogs seemed scared - just very well trained. A bit like my three, who will sit for a plate of chicken.....

Snap.They're working dogs and are never treated like they're domestic cousins.Hounds are often fed on an entire carcass so a few rodents wont do them any harm!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2007, 02:03 PM
This is a video about Château de Cheverny in the Loire Valley and the pack of hounds are being fed on Chickens not rats..

http://www.chateau-cheverny.fr/page....=renseignement

hungry hunting dogs
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...oire-BR-1.html

La Soupe des Chiens The feeding of the hunting dogs is a must see if you visit Chateau de Cheverny. It is not for the faint hearted though - the smell of raw chicken carcases is pretty gross and when the feeding frenzy begins make sure you stand back.
..although we may find the pictures unpalatable that is how hounds are frequently fed, here they were ofted fed with 'fallen stock' that is whole carcasses of animals which died (but not normally from disease).
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I didn't find it particularly offensive, but didn't think there was enough food for all those dogs. but as others have said, the hounds looked in great condition.

Not the way I would keep dogs myself, but most hunting hounds are kept together this way and fed en masse.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 05:45 PM
What was wrong with it? I didnt see anything wrong with it at all? All lovely condition and a credit to the huntmen that care for them. Heck, some people cant manage 2 dogs feeding together!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post

I thought the same thing Vicki. I also thought that the person in the pen had fantastic control over them too. How many of us could keep 100 dogs waiting for thier dinner the way this person did?
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 09:58 PM
i wasnt offended either maybe im more thick skinned than most,however there didnt look like a lot of food there for 100 dogs,and amazing no fighting for what was there.
like one of the earlier posts maybe they feed them more than the once x
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm with you lot...I think too many people are horrified because all dogs aren't treated like our pampered pets....doesn't mean they are mistreated,just treated differently
mattandflyte
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2007, 10:32 PM
i agree with dawn

oh and the whip is not there as a weapon behind the secnes,

where do you think the whip in the house off lords gets it's name????????????????

i think it was a fantastic show off a fantastic working hound in a fine condishion

all be it in the wrong section

thanks a very interesting video

matt
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-05-2007, 08:58 PM
AussieGeek - Sorry I didn't like it, but not knocking you for putting it on, if anything it reinforces my view that U-Tube very rarely has anything useful to add to my knowledge of the world. IIRC someone on Dogsey did a blog asking "What is the point of U-Tube" recently, and I ask the same question frequently.
Patch - Regardless of whether kids will learn swearing at school or wherever, it is still the duty of good parents to try by all means to prevent their kids from using abusive language.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >