Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
So after a nip or two... does the dog do anything different in the way it catches them... or is that just a hazzard of the job?
Quite often Ian they do change the way they dispatch things. You tend to see it in Ratting more, when a Rat bites, the next time the dog shakes it and kills it instantly, I suppose its their way to learn, its all done on instinct.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Dawn, out of interest, how are the squirrels killed? Do the dogs do it and are they effective? I'm not getting funny on you I promise :smt002 as I'm imagining that method would be more pleasant than poison? Possibly less risky to other animals too? Actually..quite interested for a veggie tree hugging aging hippy.......
Hi Ailsa.
Poisoning is awful to any animal, I dont care how much we need to control it, I would never poison anything. Yes you are right, poisoning is dangerous to other species too, far too risky.

I shoot most of the Squirrels, on a rare occasion they are not killed outright and have bolted, we use the dogs to find and dispatch them quickly in much the same manner as a Rat.

Squirrels caught on the ground will be depatched quickly by a Terrier, and some ground is far more easily accessible to dogs than people! but for the most part we shoot.

Willow is correct in saying a Squirrel will give a viscious bite to a dog, honestly their teeth are like razors, I suppose they need to be they eat trees and houses!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks for that Dawn...really interesting as I had no idea terriers were used to work in this way.
I imagine it's much more pleasant for the squirrels than poisoning and much as it hurts me to say it, I do see the need to control squirrels and rats..the more humanely the better obviously
I have to say...I can't see how else this could be done.

Your photos are always stunning as well!!!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 05:08 PM
They are trapping them around here, as far as I know. I know a friend is part of the cull and he is trapping them. Not that he has caught one yet. I've asked him to let me know if/when he does as I would like to eat one.

I think the disease is not far from here, that's why they are really cracking down on greys.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Wonderful photos Dawn, she really knows her stuff!
My dear old Polly was a great squirrel destroyer-greys only of course as thats all we have around here. It shocked me how 'volatile' (think thats the best way to describe it) they are when caught!
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 06:07 PM
dare not show ben those pics, as he would had squirrel envy, he just gives our local squirrels a good work out LOL
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Great pics!

I am going to show these pics to my useless hounds. They like to chase squirrels but would never be fast enough to catch one. On one occasion they were 'handed one on a plate' when a squirrel they were pursuing shot up a metal fence pole to escape but the pole was icy and the critter couldn't get a grip and slid right back down, coming to rest right at doggie nose height. The dogs just looked at the squirrel, then at each other as if to say 'well, THAT wasn't supposed to happen...now what do we do?' and nonchalantly stalked off, leaving the squirrel to make its escape Utterly uselss!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Fantastic piccys Dawn and great to see squirrels being taken by dog! Its really good to see dogs still being worked!

Vegas would be good cause he's fast,but he cannot stay focused on one particular target.He and a Lab caught then killed a squirrel (tore it in half to be exact!),but i think it may have wanted to commit suicide and offered itself to them.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Briilliant Photos Dawn,I love to se photos of working dogs. My Ossie wouldn't be much good though,He only usually sees the squirrall when its shot half way up a tree.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks all, I do enjoy working my dogs, I think preserving a breeds true characteristics (where possible) is vital. I like the outdoors, the peace and quite, me and my dogs, and a friend or two

Helen.
I know there is a lot of culling going on at the moment, I really hope its successful.

For anyone reading this and not realising what damage Grey Squirrels do to both our countryside and our native Red Squirrel, take a look at he link if you have a minute.
http://www.europeansquirrelinitiativ...he_threat.html

Its not that people that control Greys dont like them, its not their fault they are a grey Squirrel, but it is our responsibility and duty to do everything we can to protect our native Reds.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Dawn, I need to borrow a border or two down here for a few. We have rats that send the bravest cats packing!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >