View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 02:55 PM
i was talking to phil from culpeppers and he said that getting permits is very hard these days as the forestry commission only give out a certain number per year and its a case of ' dead mans shoes', some people have them but dont use them, but they wont give them up, which is a shame for people who seriously want to train. the forest near me is too small, so they dont give out permits at all, i am currently trying to persuade the MoD to let me train on a nearby disused airfield
kaiblue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tuuli View Post
If that is the case, you'll have to get out of UK!

Well, you have somebody who obviously has the wrong dogs OR the wrong methods of training... Sorry, it is just NOT a good sign if a sled dog wont run. Actually, I have never met a real (so not talking about most show huskies etc) sibe that wouldnt run. Most of the time it takes a lot of work to get them to stop!
well if im honest my first thought was maybee there was something wrong but the owner said it was probably his fault as he thought maybee he hadnt trained enough???? they all seemed happy enough when they started up again though!!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by kaiblue View Post
, we went to our first rally last weekend (dellamere forest night rally) and it was great kai (our husky) was watching the dogs rush by and then looking at us like "why dont you do that with me?"
Oh we were there too - my OH was running 2 Malamutes
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Had to share this, I found it the other day when I was looking for reference for sled dogs for a tattoo, he is an Alaskan Husky Pointer cross.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Wow - isn't he striking.
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Not sure any would be considered suitable for work as pack animals, there are clubs that train and help with sledding so perhaps you should ask them. Mel may be able to help you.

Most sledding activity is confined to the nordic breeds and those from North America
True, but that doesn't preclude other breeds if you're dedicated. A team of standard poodles ran, and completed, the Iditarod 3 times in the 90s. The guy running them, John Suter, ran over 280 races with standard poodles, including sprint, middle and long distance, and they came 1st, 2nd or 3rd in about a third of those races. And apparently his daughter and her team of SPs still hold the record for the fastest time to complete the junior iditarod by a first-timer.

I've often wondered how their diamante, ribbons and bows stood up to it

inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
I just love that picture, I should have entered it in the competition, he looks very striking and such a happy looking fella too, beautiful blue eyes....Poodles I would never have believed that thanks for the info.
Tuuli
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2006, 05:16 PM
John Suter did race the Iditarod four times with his poodles, finishing three times. The poodles were banned from entering the race after one of them died in the 1991 Iditarod. They got extremely wet and cold.

Hence this is why it now says in the Iditarod rules the dogs have to be of nothern breeds.
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tuuli View Post
John Suter did race the Iditarod four times with his poodles, finishing three times. The poodles were banned from entering the race after one of them died in the 1991 Iditarod. They got extremely wet and cold.

Hence this is why it now says in the Iditarod rules the dogs have to be of nothern breeds.

Sadly about 120-130 dogs have died in the Iditarod, most of which are of course northern breeds. Cause of these deaths include injuries, pnemonia and heart failure. I'm not suggesting the rules excluding anything but northern breeds for the gruelling Iditarod is wrong, though I do query the limitation to northern breeds for sledding in the UK.
Tuuli
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by tillytails View Post
Sadly about 120-130 dogs have died in the Iditarod, most of which are of course northern breeds. Cause of these deaths include injuries, pnemonia and heart failure. I'm not suggesting the rules excluding anything but northern breeds for the gruelling Iditarod is wrong, though I do query the limitation to northern breeds for sledding in the UK.
The first Iditarod was run in 1973 so since then there has been 36 races. Almost 100 teams have signed for the 2007 race (all including 16-20 dogs). During the last years there has been 1 or 2 deaths per year.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >