Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-09-2005, 11:29 AM

Dogboarding

Well, i finally did it and took my mountainboard out while taking Jake for a walk. I didn't put Jake in anything other than his normal collar with one of them extentable lead things, so I just let him pull me on slight downhills or on the flat. My tyres were reasonably hard and we were on paved paths, so there wasn't much rolling resistance, didn't feel like he had to pull much to keep me rolling.

He wouldn't get going unless I was rolling along anyway, so no standing starts. Not that I'd really want him to try and get my bulk going from standing! It was nice and smooth too, timing it right got the power transfered without any sudden jerks pulling me on my behind! The retractable lead was perfect, as if I started catching up with him on a downhill bit, I just flicked off the lock and the lead retracted, so no getting wrapped round the axles!

I'd only recommend giving this a go if the paths being used have nice grass verges for scrubbing off speed quickly, if required, not that we were going scary fast at all! Also, being used to riding some sort of board would be pretty important, I guess... Definitely something to keep having a go at though, even our little trial runs were a great laugh!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 11:33 AM
sounds like your keeping busy ........
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 11:47 AM
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043
The first thing that came to mind when I saw the title of this message was, "he can't mean dogboarding, must be dog boarding, as in kennels"
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Inca, yep, nice way to spend an hour's walk, but got stuff to do now, like ironing (Uninteresting board...) and the like.

LS, nope, not a typo. Here's a board like mine. No kennels involved at all!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

27-09-2005, 12:03 PM
You'll have to get some bystander to take some pics!

It'll prob be a good idea to get him a harness as it will be more comfortable for him as I've heard with weight-pulling etc a normal neck leash can hurt/damage them (not saying ur heavy or anthing )
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Just an echo to the above post.

Never let a dog pull weight with only a collar. You must use a properly fitted harness to take the strain.

I know Rich was not putting strain on his dog in that particular situation, but not everyone would be as careful and aware of the dangers.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm sure Loki would like that. Strap him into a harness and away we go.

You must try to get some pictures, I'd love to see it. Were you able to get him to stop or change direction?
Do you really do this on mountainous areas?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Wow! Just looked at your website. Did you make that board?

And that curvy concrete area - have you skated there?

Your injuries - Eeeek! I think I'd prefer surfing - at least it's a softer landing!
rollover123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2005, 04:19 PM
sounds like fun
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Yep, next steps will be with a harness, cos no, I'm not exactly light as a feather...

LS, I have made a few boards. Not mountain boards though, more long skateboards for cruising round. Yup, I have skated many curvy concrete areas. Like surfing, but drier. Erm, and more painful when it all goes wrong...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >