Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-07-2012, 02:13 PM

Orijen Senior Dog Food

I am wondering whether to change Millies food, she is an old girlie now and to be honest we struggle to keep her weight down, with one thing and another, just ordered a bag of her normal food, chicken and rice (the natural dog food company) have never had a problem with it and the dogs have always done well on it, but just had a quick look at the ingredients (to remind myself) , and noticed its got sugar beet and oats added.

I wonder if this will play a part in not beign able to shift weight on an old girl that is not to active these days

Nutrition is not something I am well up on, other than the basics, and having goggled came across the above ...orijen senior.....

Just thinking out loud to be honest, but any advice on a good senior low calorie food will be appreciated
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Burns is usually good for keeping them lean. I had to take my Labrador off it when he was younger because it kept him far too lean no matter how much I gave him. I have heard other people report this with Burns food so it was not just my dog.

I am not really a fan of most senior foods because IMO they need a good amount of protein and fat to maintain muscle mass and coat condition. I don't know if Orijen Senior is different though.

Low calorie can also be a double edged sword because the dog may be inclined to scavenge more because it is hungry.

Could you not just reduce her rations slightly and use something like a bit of cooked veg to fill her up?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

29-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Burns is usually good for keeping them lean. I had to take my Labrador off it when he was younger because it kept him far too lean no matter how much I gave him. I have heard other people report this with Burns food so it was not just my dog.

I am not really a fan of most senior foods because IMO they need a good amount of protein and fat to maintain muscle mass and coat condition. I don't know if Orijen Senior is different though.

Low calorie can also be a double edged sword because the dog may be inclined to scavenge more because it is hungry.

Could you not just reduce her rations slightly and use something like a bit of cooked veg to fill her up?
Have heard that about burns to, so maybe a consideration, also agree about senior foods, never felt the need befor , but just wondering if I can come up with an alternative ?

I have been reducing her food to be honest for a while now, and don't feel I can reduce it any more, the veg is an idea though

My problem is she is old, does not get enough exersice and is already on a reduced diet to a point, not sure how much further I can go without starving her

Thanks for the imput though, will take it on board
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 03:56 PM
My dogs are on the Orijen 'fish' food and they are thriving on it. I have no experience on their senior version, but it does have very good reviews. See this link (if it works!).
dogfoodadvisor.com
If it doesn't work, you can at least locate the reviews by copying and pasting the link.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 04:08 PM
How old is she? how much are you actually feeding?

I suppose another option is feeding high quality wet foods instead of dry. They generally contain less grain which is a consideration if you feel too many carbs are contributing to her weight.

I just looked at the ingredients for the Orijen Senior and it does look like a brilliant food. But at £62.99 for 13kg - ouch!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

29-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
My dogs are on the Orijen 'fish' food and they are thriving on it. I have no experience on their senior version, but it does have very good reviews. See this link (if it works!).

If it doesn't work, you can at least locate the reviews by copying and pasting the link.
Thanks for the link. Will take a look

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How old is she? how much are you actually feeding?

I suppose another option is feeding high quality wet foods instead of dry. They generally contain less grain which is a consideration if you feel too many carbs are contributing to her weight.

I just looked at the ingredients for the Orijen Senior and it does look like a brilliant food. But at £62.99 for 13kg - ouch!
Yep, ouch ! She is 9 1/2 , I feed her a bit less than she used to have, never really go by the guidelines, other than using them as guidelines....

Wet food, not really a fan of, but something to consider .
!
Bessy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thanks for the link. Will take a look

Yep, ouch ! She is 9 1/2 , I feed her a bit less than she used to have, never really go by the guidelines, other than using them as guidelines....

Wet food, not really a fan of, but something to consider .
!
Acana light and fit is good, made by same people as Orijen but cheaper and low in fat. My mother feed to her fat lab! she lives in Canada so easy to get. Think you can buy here now.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Sugar beet pulp is fibre it really does not have any calories in it, but is a source of FOS a prebiotic essential in the production of SCFA.

Oats hmmmm maybe.

I am not a fan of senior foods myself, but the best way to find out how calorifically dense the food is is to ring up th manufacturer (most do not have this information on the label).

That will give you an idea of which to choose.
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-08-2012, 07:00 AM
I shouldnt think about Burns if I were you, in my opinion just rubbish. I had my Terrier on it for a bit, and his coat began to look terrible. It was all dry and lifeless. The kibble was all powdery and didnt seem to contain enough goodness. He is now on Naturediet, and his coat is looking better after only a week.