Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
I actually use "apport" aswell So I say "apport" the second she moves for the ball or as I throw it?

I havent forgot TTT no worries.. I just gave it a shot today and it didnt work, so just wanted to be led on the right path, if you will...

No sense in making it wrong from the start, is there?
No youŽre right J. Its just so you dont expect results on day one. It wont happen.

If i was you I would make the object interesting. And i would stay away from sticks. The chewing is bad - avoid that. Use a tennisball or something.
Play with it yourself and get her to want it, then throw it while giving the command. Try not to throw too far away and when she grabs it its either the crazy mum who wants her dog to come back, light voice and flapping arms or its one recall and if she isnt comming youŽre out there to get her.
I dont think youŽll be good at the second suggestion though so maybe go with the first and weŽll take from there?
Maybe try a few reaclls before starting so youŽre sure she gets the message?

Try it, tape it and weŽll see
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2005, 07:06 PM
I will try that tomorrow

Ooh that reminds me, I need to go and buy more tennisballs...

I do the crazy mum

Will try to be crazier and remember the command

Will make a few recalls first as you suggest....

Ta AM
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Anytime J
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2005, 10:48 PM
I hope its alright just jumping in here,

Don't know if its been suggested before Bellaluna, but do you have a special item for retreiving or just what ever is to hand?

I think in the early stages at least its best to use one thing only for retrieve and perhaps keep balls for fun and games,your dog will soon learn that the retrieve item belongs to you and must be returned asp, the balls belong to you both and are fair for a good game of chase, used as a treat after a training session.

I only ever use dummies for retrieving and balls for for playing, some people might say that can be confusing for the dog but I think that may not be giving the dog the credit it deserves, I can almost see the smile on my dogs face when the dummy goes in the pocket and the ball comes out.

Good advice Amts and Willow

When ever I go out training, which is bascially when ever were out or in for that matter, I take the view that its all a game, some times the dog doesn't want to play, some times I'm not really in the mood for playing, and dogs being dogs are masters at picking up on your moods. Better a 2 minute training session where you are both focused then a 15 minute session when you or the dog isn't giving their full attention.

I'll hop back in my box now
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Hi

Well I use a dummy for retrieving.. But she doesnt want to retrieve this thing..

I have 3 different kinds actually, and she wont take either of them (when she has to, that is)

I have one in wood, one softish like Willow use, and one ropy kinda thingy...

And when I bring it (either one) on our walks.. She might do it once.. She might not do it all..

Usually she will sit next to me, I throw it, say "apport" (danish for retrieve) and she'll either a) run out to it and look at it and run further or b) run the other direction... or c)do a apport....

C) is very very very rarely seen....

So that's why AM suggested to try with something else, to make it a game... as we obviously isnt getting anywhere with the dummy

J
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 09:29 AM
You are absolutly right Lolli and please stay out of that box

The reason weŽre trying a bit of diff methods here, is because J has had some sort of conflict with Luna that we arent really sure of.
But we know it involves the dummy and thats why I told her to teach Luna the fun of brinning objects back with something else than the dummy that she now sees as something "bad".

I use tennisballs myself. For the reason that they are easier to hide and I can throw them longer. They are easier to make invisable in long grass etc and therefore my dog is forced to think and use the nose to find them
No dog going by sight here

Actually J can imo use whatever she prefers now. A stuffed animal, a tennisball, her glove, whatever. But since she tried with a short stick and Luna ended up refusing to come home and layed chewing on the stick, I advised her to stay away from the them. It is another conflict or another fight to sort out. Not needed right now. My point is, what she needs now is to make this fun for both of them. Make it a game that Luna learns will make both J and therefore herself very happy and rewarding

I may be wrong but the video will show, but I think J is coursing the conflit here. Not intentionally but because she wants this so bad to work and therefore gets frustrated when Luna disobey her. I also have a feeling that Luna, even though sheŽs very good in OB class, kind of tricking J here and know there hasnt been any conseqense in refusing to come back. Actually she is being rewarded by J getting sad and upset and giving up.
And to add to that, J is a very good dogowner. She loves Luna very much and only want whats best for her. She just get very sad and frustrated when this wont work out the way it is supposed to.

All guessing but hopefully the video will show more

And sorry J for writing about like you werent here. I hope you know what IŽm saying
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 10:03 AM
I understand perfectly and thank you

I am going with Kamille over to pick up Becca after school today, and we will do the video then

Just need to let her work the camera for a bit first... as she hasnt tried it before...
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 10:07 AM
IŽm sure sheŽll be the perfect cam holder

Make sure both you and Luna is in the video though! It is just as (if not more) important what you do than what Luna does.
If you dont feel like showing it on here just send it to me ok?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 10:10 AM
I think I might just send it to you for starters...

Dont want to show all my faults on here.. Dont know if we can fit into it both though... Will try
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Its ok. I understand that.
But please dont look at them as faults.
Its you and luna learning new things - just like in agility

But it is important that we are able to see both you and Luna (at the same time). I have a pretty good feeling about what goes on
Page 13 of 15 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 >