Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
When the animals sneaking in and wrecking your garden are cows and horses rather than foxes and rats

Cows wandering about as they have gotten loose - yup - happens here but luckily not too often. Horses? There is a stud farm ??? up the road and the guy has a habit of tethering his horses where there is plenty for them to munch on, and to h*ll whether it is someone's back yard [impossible to fence homes here as they back onto the agricultural fields].

No damaged gardens as most people have "yards" and not proper gardens, but I do not like horses in my back yard as I am allergic to them.

Tractors are more frequent than cars most of the time and I have gotten used to them.

It was the crop-duster planes that used to wake me at 5am when I lived in the bungalow before this one, right at the edge of some of the fields - those things really fly so low and go this way, turn, that way, turn, this way, turn, that way, turn - over and over again.

I am not sure whether it was the noise that bothered me as much as the fear tht they were so close, within metres of my home, and so low, within metres of the ground - but I was always so scared one would land on top of my home...

As for the smell of cows [and the zillions of mozzies they attracted], my landlors of the first bungalow I rented on the Moshav kept cows. He lived next door and the whole of the massive joint back yard was for cows.

I initially did not mind the smell, or the noise. Never got used to the mozzies though. But after two years I was happy to move.

That was when I ended up next to the crop-dusters!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
It can be very noisy in the country.When the lambs or calves are weaned and moved the noise from the ewes and cows deprived of their young is dreadful. Then there are the rope guns/bird scares in the corn and the farmer tearing up and down the lane at 5am on his huge tractor . Not forgetting the cockerel who gets going at first light

I notice the dawn chorus is not what it used to be though, far fewer birds around these days
Not when you live on the coast ... noisey hundreds of seagulls all hours of the day screeching! Then you have a mob of sparrows constantly fighting in the garden for the several bird feeders

You know when you live in the country when you meet a tractor and have to reverse back down country lanes, and around bends to pull over
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
when it is the sound of sheep that keeps you awake.......
that is what happens here at certain times of year. The rest of the time the silence is deafening!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
....when you don't actually have a road just a muddy lane outside your front door

Love your lane Mini

Here is ours (not even tarmacked!)

And one of my fave pics of Ben and Yogi walking up our lane

Are the posters on this thread REALLY complaining about countryside sounds, sights and smells?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 09:57 AM
We learnt to love the smell as kids because it meant one thing - the kitchen was too stinky to cook in so our parents took us out for a McDonalds

The dirt track thing, well it's nice not having the through traffic (lane leads to the fields with padlocked gates so no access beyond our house) but the cars get so filthy in winter and we can get snowed in because it doesn't get gritted. And the potholes aren't very well maintained - guess our cars feel them more than the farmer's big tractors and stuff so he doesn't tend to do much upkeep, the 4 of us living down the lane just occasionally fill them in when we have spare cement and stuff.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2011, 09:58 AM
What a fantastic view!

I am not complaining about where I live and I do not think anyone is complaining about countryside sounds, sights and smells either. I know that I could not bear to go back to living in town now, and even though I live on a small Moshav we are only 15 minutes by car from town [and a few minutes more from the glorious Mediterranean beach which was only 5 minutes walk from my apartment there] - and no "real" countryside here as there is in the UK - it is like the middle of nowhere at times.

My "roaming" area is very small, but then again as I cannot really "roam" it is big enough for me and for Pereg, and as long as I am happy, Pereg is happy. And as long as Pereg is happy, I am happy.

I admit I do not like the smell of horses because if I can smell them then they are far too close and I am allergic to them. Nor am I very happy with them wandering about leaving their droppings on the road to get on my wheels.

Countryside smells? Far far better than the stench of diesel and petrol fumes in town!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Would love to see countryside shots taken around where you live by those of us fortunate enough to live in the countryside

There was a thread like this at the beginning of the rural section thread and it was really enjoyable seeing where everyone lives
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
What a fantastic view!

I am not complaining about where I live and I do not think anyone is complaining about countryside sounds, sights and smells either. I know that I could not bear to go back to living in town now, and even though I live on a small Moshav we are only 15 minutes by car from town [and a few minutes more from the glorious Mediterranean beach which was only 5 minutes walk from my apartment there] - and no "real" countryside here as there is in the UK - it is like the middle of nowhere at times.

My "roaming" area is very small, but then again as I cannot really "roam" it is big enough for me and for Pereg, and as long as I am happy, Pereg is happy. And as long as Pereg is happy, I am happy.

I admit I do not like the smell of horses because if I can smell them then they are far too close and I am allergic to them. Nor am I very happy with them wandering about leaving their droppings on the road to get on my wheels.

Countryside smells? Far far better than the stench of diesel and petrol fumes in town!
Well there were plenty of type of smileys after descriptions of smells, sounds etc

Oh and I love the smell of livestock ... sheep, horses and cows - not so keen on pigs or hens though lol
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-09-2011, 10:06 AM
The Loose Valley

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:12 AM
That looks a lovely walk (and nice English countryside) Samson. I have only visited Kent briefly while I was working in London, but would have loved to have a chance to explore further.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >