Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 06:40 AM

Smaller dogs and raw?

All my dogs are fine with the Raw that they get but they're having chicken carcasses tomorrow and I want to know if the Shih can have a tiny bit as well or do smaller dogs struggle with raw food?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
All my dogs are fine with the Raw that they get but they're having chicken carcasses tomorrow and I want to know if the Shih can have a tiny bit as well or do smaller dogs struggle with raw food?
I know lots of small breeds on raw who do not struggle including Bichon, Yorkshire Terriers and Tibetan Terriers.....

(hopefully this dog has eaten raw before.................)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I know lots of small breeds on raw who do not struggle including Bichon, Yorkshire Terriers and Tibetan Terriers.....

(hopefully this dog has eaten raw before.................)
Hmm no - she hasn't but I always watch mine eat as they eat at the same time and I'm petrified of them misjudging a bone and choking and also the wasps get at them if I'm not there.

I suppose I should just leave her to her biscuits and let the other two eat theirs outside..
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2011, 07:03 AM
My pug pup seems to have put herself on raw She took one look at what the others were having and decided she wanted it too. I cut up a carcass for her and just give her a small bit, she managed fine.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:41 AM
my dogs are fed raw. asbo has been since 8 weeks old. so he was this big:

and hes managed just fine. i dont feed carcasses as there is too much on them for one meal, sometimes even two, but he has had chicken wings from the day i brought him home. they also have rib bones.

then they get the same as any big dog would, mince and offal.

small dogs cope just perfectly fine. mine only weigh 5kg each.
Betsybullie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2011, 05:36 PM
I have just started feeding both my bull terriers on raw, one is fine with chicken carcasses, but the other just doesn't chew bones, she trys to swallow them whole
So as my husband is a butcher, he minces the carcasses up, so there is no problems at all with her now

So if you are worried about little dogs and bones, perhaps you could invest in a small electric mincer
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 06:32 PM
My minimutt is yorkie sized. He eats the same as the others except can`t manage chicken wings (the wimp). He has Tripe mince, beef chunks, hearts, liver, poultry necks etc.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 06:39 PM
She managed to eat a little (in the pics section under 1 large, 1 medium and 1 small) then Louie stole it off her - she did steal it from him in the first place though
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Betsybullie View Post
I have just started feeding both my bull terriers on raw, one is fine with chicken carcasses, but the other just doesn't chew bones, she trys to swallow them whole
So as my husband is a butcher, he minces the carcasses up, so there is no problems at all with her now

So if you are worried about little dogs and bones, perhaps you could invest in a small electric mincer
ive been showing my mum and her husband pictures of your dogs to make them jealous (they want a bull terrier, but it wont be for at least another year )

just a thought with them not chewing bones, why dont you try chicken wings, but keeping hold of the end, so they have to chew them out of your hands.
Betsybullie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
ive been showing my mum and her husband pictures of your dogs to make them jealous (they want a bull terrier, but it wont be for at least another year )

just a thought with them not chewing bones, why dont you try chicken wings, but keeping hold of the end, so they have to chew them out of your hands.
We have tryed holding carcasses and chicken wings and because there quite slippery, Betty just pulls them out of your hand.
We feel mincing the carcasses are the safest way for her
Thanks for the suggestion though
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >