Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Muslims will only eat halal meat - so presumably they do not mind the fact that the animals have died a slow painful death.

I am not naive enough not to realise that I have probably eaten kilos of meat that was bled before being stunned. I know exactly what happens in an abbatoir, and I would be very happy to pay more for my meat so that animals did not have to suffer. But I will not purposely buy halal meat, in fact just the opposite.
Actually the do NOT die a slow, painful death. I have been present at many HALAL slaughters and nothing could be further from the truth! Do you think that animals slaughtered in abbattoirs have a pain free death?

Do you think they are NEVER actually conscious when killed?

Have you ever been PRESENT when this happens?

I have, and I can assure you that many animals are NOT stunned sufficiently. Most are, but not all.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
It was brought to my attention that anyone can buy a pony at a horse sale and take it home, slit its throat and sell it as Halal meat Well anyone that is a muslim of course.

Apparently it is perfectly legal so long as you are pointing it east and saying a prayer over it to allah It is happening in this country right now. (Saves slaughterhouse costs)

Cattle, sheep and goats have to have a holding number to buy them so there is some tracability but with ponies they do not.

I was quite shocked.
As far as I know Muslims don't eat horse/pony meat so I would guess this is just one of those stories and wouldn't pay much attention to it, tbh.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Actually the do NOT die a slow, painful death. I have been present at many HALAL slaughters and nothing could be further from the truth! Do you think that animals slaughtered in abbattoirs have a pain free death?

Do you think they are NEVER actually conscious when killed?

Have you ever been PRESENT when this happens?

I have, and I can assure you that many animals are NOT stunned sufficiently. Most are, but not all.
I've seen sheep get slaughtered (by slit throat) and hung up on a line - it wasn't quick. The sheep were there for ages struggling, blood pouring. Looked like a slow, painful (and inhumane) death to me.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
As far as I know Muslims don't eat horse/pony meat so I would guess this is just one of those stories and wouldn't pay much attention to it, tbh.

I've seen sheep get slaughtered (by slit throat) and hung up on a line - it wasn't quick. The sheep were there for ages struggling, blood pouring. Looked like a slow, painful (and inhumane) death to me.
Thanks Azz you put it very aptly.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Thanks Azz you put it very aptly.
Must say it was quite a few years ago (when I was about 16), if I witnessed it now I probably wouldn't have been able to stop myself from saying something
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
I suggest you go to the Middle East and see what is on sale in the market, including horse, camel, goat etc.

As I say, I have not seen any animals struggling when killed correctly and I have seen hundreds, over 15 years. Just lucky I guess!

And if you bother to google etc I am sure you will find a ruling on it!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:40 PM
I suggest you go to the Middle East and see what is on sale in the market, including horse, camel, goat etc.

As I say, I have not seen any animals struggling when killed correctly and I have seen hundreds, over 15 years. Just lucky I guess!

And if you bother to google etc I am sure you will find a ruling on it!
Wht would you want to watch such things...........
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Because watching, listening is part of learning; I prefer to gain my knowledge first hand if possible rather than listening to hearsay via people who just regurgitate hearsay, gossip and rumour!

Also, one day I may need to do this myself, who knows, and knowing how to do it, if necessary, means I can minimise the suffering of an animal.

I am prepared to kill an animal to eat it; unlike the hypocrites who say they do not like it, but are happy to buy an anonymous bit of meat on a plastic tray at the supermarket that has been killed by others!

I also learned how to shoot, skin a rabbit and pluck and prepare game (in the UK).
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Because watching, listening is part of learning; I prefer to gain my knowledge first hand if possible rather than listening to hearsay via people who just regurgitate hearsay, gossip and rumour!

Also, one day I may need to do this myself, who knows, and knowing how to do it, if necessary, means I can minimise the suffering of an animal.

I am prepared to kill an animal to eat it; unlike the hypocrites who say they do not like it, but are happy to buy an anonymous bit of meat on a plastic tray at the supermarket that has been killed by others!

I also learned how to shoot, skin a rabbit and pluck and
prepare game (in the UK).
Lots of folk can do those things. Why bother when you can fill your life with vegetables, grains, nuts & pulses which are most likely a lot better for you
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Wht would you want to watch such things...........
Also, where I lived, in the mountains, there was no supermarket to toddle off to get your frozen burgers etc. Convenience foods, etc etc.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Lots of folk can do those things. Why bother when you can fill your life with vegetables, grains, nuts & pulses which are most likely a lot better for you

Because a) I like meat and b) nuts and pulses make you fart a lot!
Page 6 of 41 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »