Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by 5dog View Post
All i can say is wow, the predjuce against the poor police, with their standard of tracking or even biting how sad, from people who I consider as being open minded and with a great deal of knowledge.

As a police dog handler and instructor, I feel a little agrieved that all police dogs are being laughed into some sub standard animal.

There are some awesome police dogs and handlers in the UK and in Scotland inparticular. True a great deal of police dogs will only reach the minimum standard required for an operational licence, this is due to the fact most police officers who work a dog are exactly that a police officer with a dog, and not a dog handler (if that makes sense).

However there are others who live and breath dog training , whos dogs are way above the required standard for a licence and who have brought in knowledge from civi trials, schutzhund, KNPV and a range of other areas.
Please dont lump all police dogs as not as good as sport dogs, there is good and bad in both, I have seen a bucket raking gift dog form a council estate stand his ground against charging football hooligans, and I have seen a Schutzhund 1 dog turn tail and run from a drunk hiding in a back garden armed with a paint brush (true).

Sorry if im being a bit defensive .

The guy that the thread is talking about is an ex dog instructor from Tayside police called Ron Anderson. The hard surface tracking i think was relating to an American website where the woman was using some cocktail of human sweat sprayed onto tarmac to train dogs???.

Although I agree with the majority grass is my prefrence for starting tracking.
Very true. I was fortunate enough to know one of the very best dog handlers/instructors in the UK in his time (he has recently retired) and, as you say, he lived and breathed dog training. His dogs were absolutely awe-inspiring and were extremely capable dogs on the street.

Unfortunately not all police dog handlers have the commitment or interest in their dog work that others have - and that will translate in how their dogs work on the street and/or in competition.
calseoni
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2011, 06:44 PM
I would be interested in a workshop, sorry still cannot pm or email
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by calseoni View Post
I would be interested in a workshop, sorry still cannot pm or email
ok, will take note, anyone else interested please PM me, I've not contacted John yet but he'll need at least 1/2 dozen to make it worthwhile due to rental cost of field.

(note, I'#m not doing this to gather business for Joh, its just that he's ended up out of pocket in the past from his own good will!)

Anyone else want a day please PM and I'll organise with John.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
All I can say is that (mostly) due to his training my dog has only ever missed its track twice in competition and on both occassions no other dog achieved its track (one was a UD track and we later found that a hot air baloon had landed in the field so there was fumes from the fuel everywhere and the second was a WD track in stormy conditions - you got soaked walking from car to base, 5 yards!)
Hi Nick, how many trials have you actually run?

There are several WT Champions who fail tracks quite often...............................
calseoni
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks nick
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hi Nick, how many trials have you actually run?

There are several WT Champions who fail tracks quite often...............................
.... didn't mean my confidence to sound like arrogance!

guess, i was including tracking not in trials as well as trials......

Spoke to John at Alnwick trial yesterday and he tells me he's training tracking most sundays now, i can let find out locations and let him know who is coming, no need to set up an event!
calseoni
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2011, 09:20 PM
If you could find out that would be great
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by calseoni View Post
If you could find out that would be great
Vogrie Country Park, this Sunday at 9am.

To find the field, come out of the car park and take the pathway to the left, about 300-400yds along the path there is a field to the right. Should be several people there. I think he is charging a fiver.

Also, there is WT training in the field adjacent to the car parl (look for the portakabin top the right) so I might see you there.

Cheers, more are welcome, let me know and I'll pass the message along....
Crichton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
If anyone is interested in a tracking workshop for east central scotland I can contact the guy who trained me (he was trained by tom middlemiss).

Anyway, if anyone wants to PM I'll ask John, he will charge a fee, but it is likely to be low (less than a tenner)
John was taught how to tracklay by Tom Middlemas not how to track which is slightly different.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
John was taught how to tracklay by Tom Middlemas not how to track which is slightly different.
he never told me that!

anyway, he's running the training which is a good thing!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >