View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-03-2011, 08:23 PM

Tracking Workshop, East Central Scotland.

I've been speaking to an ex-police dog handler/trainer with a view to running a tracking workshop. It will probably take place in the Dundee/Perth area, but this is flexible. He suggested 4 or 5 would be an ideal number, option of weekly/fortnightly lessons, or an intensive workshop.

If anyone's interested, post here/pm me.

Michael
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Scottish Kennel Club M Orr Eskmills Park, Station Road, Musselburgh EH21 7PQ 01316 653920

Scottish Working Trials Society June McPhillips Greenside Cottage, Lauder, Berwickshire, TD2 6PD 01578 718861

Alternatives to consider are having a workshop done by one of the top triallists in the UK from either of these societies.

Lorna Cottier a police dog handler and who has trained two Champions and recently judged the KCCs might be interested.

Working Trials dogs normally track better than police dogs!
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Me and Bear spent a very interesting couple of hours with him yesterday. He explained what we were going to do, how we'd do it and why we were doing it that way. Then he laid a short trail and we had a go.

We had a bit of a chat (whilst the rain blew over), he explained what we did right, what we did wrong and again reinforced the relevant points.

He then laid a second trail. This time, Bear was nose down on the tarmac, going downwind in quite a strong breeze - I was quite impressed by it

Most of the time was spent with Ron explaining to me what it was I needed to do and how I should go about it.

I left with advice on how to improve things, he gave me a copy of a paper he'd previously written, the offer to ring/e-mail for any further advice, and of course the option to go back and see him at any point in the future should I need to.

Most interesting
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!

Nobody I know EVER starts tracking dogs on hard surfaces either police dogs, Working Trials or Schutzhund!

You must have an amazing trainer and dog!
Jonesy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2011, 11:34 AM
just to be nosey, what is the trainers name?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
I've been speaking to an ex-police dog handler/trainer with a view to running a tracking workshop. It will probably take place in the Dundee/Perth area, but this is flexible. He suggested 4 or 5 would be an ideal number, option of weekly/fortnightly lessons, or an intensive workshop.

If anyone's interested, post here/pm me.

Michael
hiya is this through Wolfspeak at all?
Who is going to take the workshops?
no offense but it wont be 'breedist' will it?
Sorry just curious.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
hiya is this through Wolfspeak at all?
It's not through Wolfspeak. Though I have used Paul in the past with Locky. Have you used him at all?

Who is going to take the workshops?
no offense but it wont be 'breedist' will it?
Sorry just curious.
The guy's name is Ron Anderson, but for some reason I can't seem to find his website atm.

As no one else replied last week, I went ahead and did it myself, so doubt I'll try to arrange anything with him any time soon (came away with plenty to be getting on with) - I can trace his number on the mobile though if you want it.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 02:20 PM
I havent used Paul but have seen the site and knew that he worked police dogs in the past....

I only just seen this thread but I would have been interested to find out more although transport is an issue at the moment so probably would have been a no-go-er anyway.

Never mind, was just curious, good to hear you got on well with your dog

Are other breeds welcome? (if in future..that is)

Does he normally only work in groups?

Sorry for all the questions just curious!

My dog loved contraband search, scent cloths etc in classes and so its just something I have wondered about thats all.
Crichton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Congratulations!!!!!!

Nobody I know EVER starts tracking dogs on hard surfaces either police dogs, Working Trials or Schutzhund!

You must have an amazing trainer and dog!
Have to say I would agree with Smokeybear.

I know lot of the top trialists in the UK, along with Police Dog Handlers and those who train search and rescue dogs and don't anyone who would start tracking on tarmac.

Not trying to put you off but I would be wary!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I tracked on tarmac cos I had to, during the Foot and Mouth outbreak in 2001, so one of my dogs is a very good "Variable Surface Track" dog, but there are very few dogs who can track consistently and accurately on hard surfaces! Unless they have been trained very carefully by someone who understands the importance of shadows, wind direction, tree and building overhang etc.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >