Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sherry
New Member!
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:04 AM

Sudden onset of hip/leg pain getting worse

Goldendoodle Puppy getting WORSE. Any thoughts from anyone? Limping, weak hips getting worse with anti imflam and glucosamine cannot get comfortable, sometimes will yelp in pain when walking. Has been on meds 3 days until sedated hip xrays tomorrow. I am very concerned. HD, muscle sprain, spine? Came on rather suddenly without cause. Has anyone experienced this? She just turned 13 months. Any thoughts greatly appreciated, this is heartbreaking.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm so sorry your young dog is suffering. It must be awful for you both.

Until you get the x-rays done & can find out the cause, there's not much you can do but give pain relief & keep your dog as comfortable as possible.

One of my labs has HD. The x-rays look pretty bad but the vet told me that this is not necessarily indicative of the amount of pain a dog experiences. Very slight dysplasia can cause severe pain whilst hips that look like they shouldn't stay in the sockets may cause hardly any pain!

Good luck with the x-rays ~ let us know how you get on.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 08:09 AM
It might be worth getting in touch with the breeder and seeing if any others in the litter are having problems?
I hope it`s a strain, not something more serious.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Agree with Claire and Daisy-contact Breeder and see if they may be able to advise you Poor Doodle
ps Also maybe try contacting a member on here name of Elmo as he may be able to help
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Poor thing It's so horrible to see them in pain.

We suddenly noticed Max had problems with his hips at about 4 months. He was xrayed at the same time as being neutered and the diagnosis was mild HD. They both go to hydrotherapy every week and Max doesn't show any signs of the problems he had before. It used to make me feel sick hearing his joints click like they did.

Fingers crossed that you get a diagnosis from the xrays and my thoughts and best wishes that she's better soon.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
Agree with Claire and Daisy-contact Breeder and see if they may be able to advise you Poor Doodle
ps Also maybe try contacting a member on here name of Elmo as he may be able to help
Totally agree. Elmo and animal lover have 2 GD and a LD; one GD had similar symptoms and was suffering from Pano which I think I mentioned on your other thread so they can advise you from their point of view. From a veterinary point of view I suggest rest and if you are not already doing so, change the food to a very good quality dog food with plenty of protein in; give the dog joint supplements and continue with th Glucosamine.
animal-lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2010, 11:17 AM
I would take all the vets advice just like we did when our Elmo had these symptoms.
Its heartbreaking watching a puppy go through this,but your best bet is to do everything the vet tells you.
Elmo had really bad growing pains and we changed his diet,his exercise was all limited,he also did nearly a year of hydro in a doggie pool.
We still use supplement today and 2 years on Elmo is a completely different dog,he may never be 100% but he is getting there.
Good luck and remember to do everything the vet advises.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
Totally agree. Elmo and animal lover have 2 GD and a LD; one GD had similar symptoms and was suffering from Pano which I think I mentioned on your other thread so they can advise you from their point of view. From a veterinary point of view I suggest rest and if you are not already doing so, change the food to a very good quality dog food with plenty of protein in; give the dog joint supplements and continue with th Glucosamine.
i thought with possible growth related/growing pains a low protein diet was preferable?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
i thought with possible growth related/growing pains a low protein diet was preferable?
Daisy had pano, and the symptoms described don`t sound typical of it. There is very little you can do for Pano - even painkillers are not that effective. Thankfully they grow out of it.
animal-lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Daisy had pano, and the symptoms described don`t sound typical of it. There is very little you can do for Pano - even painkillers are not that effective. Thankfully they grow out of it.
You are right but we were told by the vet to have Elmo on a low protein diet,his exercise was reduced,he went to hydro twice a week,took supplements.
Also we had him done early as this we were told would also help him.
When Elmo reached 18 months the symptoms were just about gone.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >