Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sherry
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2010, 03:25 AM

13 month old pup sudden hip/leg pain

Has anyone experienced a year old pup that had been running and playful suddenly develop crying/yelping with hip or leg pain and weakness? Desperatly seeking answer. Took her to vet and they say possible hip dysplasia and needs replacement will have xrays with sedation Monday to determine. In the meantime her pain is very sporatic and increasing to 4-5 time a day episodes. She will start to run or walk quickly then drop with weakness and cry from the pain, when I massage the hip leg area is seems to go away quickly then she's ok. Very upsetting and I dont know whats going on. Have never heard of a 1 year old needing a hip replacement? Anyone??
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 05:31 AM
I think your vet is rather jumping the gun there saying hip dysplasia without doing x-rays, unless there are other signs pointing to that. It could just be a pulled muscle or it could be cruciate ligament (which I have a dog recovering from the op at the moment) or it could be spinal.
Ask your vet to do x-rays of the spine and full x-rays of the leg. In the meantime keep your dog on strict rest. No walks and no running jumping around at home, hopefully your vet has also given you some anti inflamatry pain relief to last you till the x-rays are done.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 08:48 AM
If your GD has grown quite tall quickly it could be a sign of Panostitis which is where the bones grow quicker than the muscles causing pain and discomfort when walking. I also think your vet might be rushing into a diagnosis. I also think (having a GD and a Labradoodle and having had a similar issue with one of them) that rest is paramount as well as giving extra vitamins until things are improved. It could be that the food was lacking and has caused a problem short-term which will improve as it did with Ruby (improve that is). Our vet suggested HD to us and after several tests it was proven not to be; just Pano and she grew out of it. Many vets, on examination, find the hips are lax and loose or clicky and diagnose HD on those symptoms, but the only way to correctly diagnose HD is to sedate and manipulate the hips with the dog completely relaxed so as not to work against the muscle tone. Try not to worry x
Sherry
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Thank you so much for your input it really puts my mind at ease and what your saying about the muscle makes much more sense because this all came on so suddenly. Teddy is scheduled for sedation and xrays and is on antifnflam as well as glucosomine. It is just so worrysome to see your pet in pain and not be able to tell you whats going on. Thank you so much.