View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I can understand the starting to lamp at 11.30, because lamping is pretty pointless until its dark.

If it was just for rabbits, then overlamping them would make them lamp shy, so the whole point in lamping them to control numbers would be pointless, as they'd just bolt back down their holes.
The same applies to foxes as well, we have a few that are lampshy around by us, because so many keepers lamp them and have fired shots at them and missed.

It does sound a bit strange that it is every/every other night at exactly the same time though.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I think I would be taking this further if I were you Helen. It doesn't sound like 'control' of rabbits etc
Don't worry, I've already phoned the police and she's taken a statement, purely BECAUSE whether it's legal or NOT, they have not been informed, and the law states she says, that ANY shooting has to be previously advised to the police. PLUS, what I don't like is, this is not only yards away from the main dual carraigeway which people walk alongside under the hedge fronting this field, but that link you put up states it has to be 50 feet away from any road, and the way they get to the entrance is also a road, be it a small one and there's no way they are 50 feet away from either!

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Lamping badgers, are you serious? Lamping Foxes is legal too, but would be shot rather than caught with a dog, Rabbits are lamped with dogs, returned UNHARMED and dispatched humanely.
I'm only saying that it's very strange that two badgers have been seen feet away from that field entrance just laying in the kerb, perfectly intact, no blood, no bits stuck to the road, plus 3 foxes and that's raised my suspiscions re the shots!

I don't understand what you are saying here Dawn, I saw the lamps on top of the vehicle (land rover perhaps?) I know what lamping looks like, and yet all those shots??? Are you saying they should be using dogs for lamping and not guns then here??? Sorry, I'm a bit dim ya see!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Don't worry, I've already phoned the police and she's taken a statement, purely BECAUSE whether it's legal or NOT, they have not been informed, and the law states she says, that ANY shooting has to be previously advised to the police. PLUS, what I don't like is, this is not only yards away from the main dual carraigeway which people walk alongside under the hedge fronting this field, but that link you put up states it has to be 50 feet away from any road, and the way they get to the entrance is also a road, be it a small one and there's no way they are 50 feet away from either!

I'm only saying that it's very strange that two badgers have been seen feet away from that field entrance just laying in the kerb, perfectly intact, no blood, no bits stuck to the road, plus 3 foxes and that's raised my suspiscions re the shots!

I don't understand what you are saying here Dawn, I saw the lamps on top of the vehicle (land rover perhaps?) I know what lamping looks like, and yet all those shots??? Are you saying they should be using dogs for lamping and not guns then here??? Sorry, I'm a bit dim ya see!
Then you have answered your own question, if it looks intact there is no way its been targeted by lampers or any other type of person doing wrong, it would be ripped to bits, thats the perverse pleasure idiots like that get out of such activities.

Hundreds of Rabbits can be shot in one night, literally, they are in such huge numbers. You dont need to use a dog to go lamping, the lamp highlights the Rabbits, they freeze in the light and then the shot is taken, a still target. You can use dogs however, the dog "stalks" the Rabbit along the light beam, and grabs the Rabbit, or chases it with the beam following the Rabbit for the dog to catch. The Rabbit either escapes or is caught, the dog will bring it back unharmed, where the lamper will dispatch it humanely and instantly.

If you are concerned ask the landowner, he wont want trespassers on his land and willbe able to confirm if people are allowed.

Re the Badgers and no marks, thats absolutely typical of a hit from a car, its the very reason I had a PM done on my Cat, he had a massive diaphragmatic hernia, but to all intents and purposes he looked totally unmarked. Please dont think everyone is out to do wrong, in 99% of cases, they arent.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Keep us posted please Helen xxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 06:06 AM
Personally, I can't believe the farmer has no knowledge of this happening......
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2010, 08:45 AM
My sister owns a farm and has people that come and shoot the rabbits for her also my nephews have ago at the weekends.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Well a result! I've just had a visit from two police officers (a man and a woman, and the woman was brave enough to put her hand over the stable door to greet a barking Zena, and she survived it, she got a kissed hand!). Anyhoo, they went up there last night, and thankfully, they met a dog walker, who told them he too, had heard all the gunfire from the previous night, so that's backed up my story then, but they can't see any evidence of tyre tracks into that field, but they could have used the gates they said, in which case, it would have been quite legit.

They don't think it's the lampers, coz he said they would not be using guns as Dawn as said, and they wouldn't keep going to the same old place for fear of them being caught, they use different places each time. They have had a word with the farmer and although he does have people shooting for him, he said not on this occasion.

There next step is to go and see another farmer who lives nearby and see if it's him shooting vermin, coz that's what they think it is, vermin shooting, although somebody's gonna be in trouble because the police weren't made aware, and if they're using shotguns as opposed to ??? (can't remember!), then they will have a licence so we're ok. If not, then they will have to send up the armed police!!

They are ringing me this afternoon, once they have found out some more info, there's a couple of things they need to do they said, and if they think it warrants it, then it'll get passed on to the correct department, but they said the liklihood is, that it's vermin shooting going on. My badger and foxes they think are definitely roadkill, coz that's what happens, they don't always have their guts spilled out in the road consequently, what I saw could be legit.

I told them my husband calls me a "curtain twitcher" but they said if it wasn't for people like me they wouldn't stand a chance, so I am to keep up the good work lol! I told them I'd already sorted out the pub over the road that was keeping me awake till all hours, and now I've got shooters doing the exact same thing so I had to sort it! I just want to SLEEEEEEP!

They also told me that should I EVER see lampers when the field stubble has appeared, I am to phone them immediately coz they will be hare coursing I told them I would be on the case if it happened!

I will report back when they've rung me again with their further findings then.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I totally agree, it never hurts to keep an eye open in your area.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Well done Helen I hope the police get to the bottom of it.

As others have said, with the landowners permission, lamping for rabbits and foxes is perfectly legitimate. However, wildlife crime is on the up again, and it is always wise to keep an eye on any suspicious activity in your area, and have a word with your local wildlife crime officer.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Well, she did get back to me Turns out, yes, it's the other farmer nearby (but then this is NOT his field?!) who has 5 people shooting rabbits and vermin at night! I know this farmer coz I used to keep my horse on his "farm", although it's not a working farm anymore, just the horses.

She told me although he didn't advise them or the time and days, he will do from now on, and I asked her why they have to do it at that time of night anyway, to which she replied, she didn't know what time the bunnierabbits came out, so I told her that normally the farmers have them shot around 5 or 6 am when they are just about to go to bed, not at 1.30 am, keeping me awake!!! She said that when he sends in his paperwork to them he HAS to stipulate both the day and the time and if they decide it's not right, then they'll be doing something about it.

My theory now is, this "farmer" has a bunch of mates who go shooting, pub closes at 11.30, so they have boy's time popping rabbits in his fields, and carry on till they get tired at around 1.30 that's my theory on it anyway.

Either way, it'll be very interesting if I have to put up with it tonight, coz if he knows the old bill are having a snifter around up there, he won't be doing it will he! Another case closed methinks!!

She told me to watch out again for when the stubble starts appearing coz they need some work, so I told her I like to have a case on the go too!!! Sorted!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »