Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
brill pics!

Roy is is user on here now, joined a few weeks ago, under "Bordertorm"

When i had a go with Nellie one time, she kept trying to bring the sheep to me too. They are BIG sheep!!!! Scary!
Sheep are lots of things, but not scary
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I meant to also say that if you keep forgetting your left and right, just think "come bye" (clockwise) and "away" (anticlockwise) - that helped me when I first started.

Not heard the term patrolling trot before. Did he happen to mention whether Siren had good natural balance? Hubby reckons that is probably the most important thing in a young dog.

You will have to get some video next time you go
He said she had a nice balanced pace I think....if thats what you mean??

I need to do lots of learning.....fast!!
borderstorm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-05-2010, 06:56 AM
It's still going to be fun Hannah but with a serious approach to it. Siren was excellent but how did you sneak those photos in as I never saw you take any? Let me know next time will you as I'll smarten up beforehand LOLOLOL.
Oh and yes...the whole idea is for siren to bring you sheep, that 's the first rule of shepherding...all you have to do is learn how to move backwards...FAST!!!
In all the years I have been involved with starting off dogs to work sheep I have only ever met one that just would not start and showed no interest whatsoever. For a three year-old dog predominantly of show breeding, Siren was excellent once she got over the initial shock of actually being allowed freedom around stock. See you soon.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 07:07 AM
FAB! Its so neat to watch a dog do what it was bred to do! Keep us posted on her progress and keep up the pics!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Hannah - you will have to start posting in the Working Doger section It is a while since there has been anything new in there.

I will have to get some new pics of our "pups" working. They are now 2 years old (but I still think of them as pups!) and we have just repeated the mating, so fingers crossed for some good pups.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by borderstorm View Post
It's still going to be fun Hannah but with a serious approach to it. Siren was excellent but how did you sneak those photos in as I never saw you take any? Let me know next time will you as I'll smarten up beforehand LOLOLOL.
Oh and yes...the whole idea is for siren to bring you sheep, that 's the first rule of shepherding...all you have to do is learn how to move backwards...FAST!!!
In all the years I have been involved with starting off dogs to work sheep I have only ever met one that just would not start and showed no interest whatsoever. For a three year-old dog predominantly of show breeding, Siren was excellent once she got over the initial shock of actually being allowed freedom around stock. See you soon.
Oh I know....and ....as I said - I am sure it must have been hilarious for you to watch when she started to bring them to me.

I am really the one who needs to learn! I am having a slight issue finding sheep at the moment unfortunately, everyone seems a tad busy!

Thanks for the lesson - we both thoroughly enjoyed it....I was exhausted...Siren....not so much! However - both very much looking forward to next week.
borderstorm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-05-2010, 07:35 AM
How did you manage to get exhausted Hannah it was Siren that did all the work!!!
I know what we'll do. I'll train Siren and you can go on a fitness training regime running around my field to get fit. Deal?
And don't worry about finding sheep, just wait til you get here.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by borderstorm View Post
How did you manage to get exhausted Hannah it was Siren that did all the work!!!
I know what we'll do. I'll train Siren and you can go on a fitness training regime running around my field to get fit. Deal?
And don't worry about finding sheep, just wait til you get here.

I think it was worry more than anything! I was SO stressed before I came that she would either just go off and eat muck or she would get too into it and decide that Lamb would make a nice change from the normal dry food she is on!

(I was trying to find sheep to practice the 'walking on')
borderstorm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Neither would have been a problem let me assure you as I've seen dogs do all sorts of things. For a show bred dog, rather like my own Blue, she did remarkably well. Age can be a great help when starting a dog off on sheep for the first time as maturity brings with it its own rewards. And having a stop on a dog like most obedience trained dogs have is utter bliss...not that I like dogs stopping all the time that is, much preferring then to keep working in the early stages unless they are out of control.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 08:49 AM
poo is a big distraction, we train agility in a horse barn and Ben used to stop for a snack - not now tho

Sounds like you did great - and even better we get to hear about it from both sides

Dont I just know about the dogs bringing sheep to you!!
My friends got a farm bred collie (and I nearly got his sister) and at about 8 months we were back at the farm
The farmer gave us the litter sister to walk at the same time (they ended up keeping her a few months down the line as she didnt work out)
The farmer said it was cool to have the dogs off the lead as we walked

So cutting thru a field of his sheep the dogs streaked off, lovely anticlockwise outrun
Next thing we knew their was a full herd being driven full speed twards us!! Scary
We yelled the dogs to down and the sheep scattered then we got the dogs back onlead
The farmer was amazed that the pup showed any interest and took her right back into the field - but without her brother she wasnt interested

But I know its totaly scary having them pelting at you with two happy collies behind
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >