Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 02:23 PM

Biking with your dog.

I have just bought a mountain bike (moment of weakness) and have ordered a "Walkydog" attachment so I can take the dogs with me. Breeze and Orey are very fit, they race regularly, how far would those that do this, suggest we bike for to begin with?

I have taken them individually and neither had even seen a bike before and both trotted very happily at my side with me holding the lead, they seemed to relish it, no hint of worry about the bike at all.

All tips would be appreciated.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I have just bought a mountain bike (moment of weakness) and have ordered a "Walkydog" attachment so I can take the dogs with me. Breeze and Orey are very fit, they race regularly, how far would those that do this, suggest we bike for to begin with?

I have taken them individually and neither had even seen a bike before and both trotted very happily at my side with me holding the lead, they seemed to relish it, no hint of worry about the bike at all.

All tips would be appreciated.
Oooh we thought about this for paris as she never seems to tire (unlike phil who loves his bed way tooo much!). We never got round to it but i'd love to know how you get on. Can i also ask what is the walkydog attachment thing? was it expensive?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Great idea!

I dont think i'd be quite brave enough though, Riley is so dumb, he'd see something across the road and drag me and the bike infront of a car or something

Hope you have fun with it though - great for keeping you and the dogs fit
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 02:31 PM
just wanted to say, good luck, let me know how it goes, I had thought of doing this with kaos...so will watch your progress..

I would say, if you know how long your daily walk is, start with about the same distance then build up from there,
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Cheers folks, Im looking forward to it.

The walky dog thingy is this:
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/dog-walking...king-range.php

There are a few videos at the bottom of the page too. I looked at the "Springer" but didnt fancy that one.

I did wonder if the dogs would be a bit iffy round the bike being fairly close to them, but absolutely not, they really enjoyed a fast trot!

Jessica.
Get Riley out, he'll love it!! Pop a Pug in a basket too!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Ill try and do a video on my phone next time I go out of the dogs at my side, Im sure the Mountain bike population on Dogsey will explode!!!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Looks good ....I may well be tempted. i guess you can use them on road too if they were quiet roads.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Looks good ....I may well be tempted. i guess you can use them on road too if they were quiet roads.
Yeah thats what Im doing, will go across some FLAT fields too when I can and probably through the woods.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Jessica.
Get Riley out, he'll love it!! Pop a Pug in a basket too!
Delilah would love that, she'd sit there yapping as we cycled around

You're welcome to take Riley, i ain't doing it
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Ours love doing this! We can go slow and fast and they are never bothered about the bike. I love the walkydog and think its a great idea!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >