View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Is Afghan racing over longer distances? I know greyhound courses are quite long - whippet racing is only over 100 - 170 m.

What do they chase? Do you have any photos?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:05 PM
There is a thread on this Windhound, I race my Terriers every month.

Distances between 100mrs, 260mtrs and a 400mtrs I think.

Dogs must be 1yr to run.
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Is there any racing on Sunday the 17th May at Kincardine as I am going home to Perth for a dog show on the 16th and staying for a week.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Yes! It's on pretty much every week between March and November. If you check on our blog (you'll find the URL in my profile) we always put a notice up there if it's canceled for any reason. Also you can check the Scottish Beagle Club website - they now have a page specifically for Beagle Racing.

Someone asked earlier about the kind of times the Beagles run. We had time trials last Sunday. Our Beanie was fastest by about 15 lengths with a time of 12.63 seconds over 150 yards. She's a real titch - half the size of most of the dogs, so a larger dog **should** be capable of a good bit faster (that's how it works for whippets anyway). But right now she's the fastest racing Beagle in the world

Here she is running in slow-mo. She's in red and her little brother Biggles is in blue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wies...layer_embedded

(BTW - fighting isn't allowed. This was just some fun runs to give new dogs some experience!!)

Actually, all the dogs in that clip are very fast (although Beanie is way out in front even when the boys aren't fighting - not sure if it'll stay that way once they get some experience tho!). They're all related too (Newlin).

When you're at the show try and recruit some more beagles!!!!

Another nice piccy for you:

basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Great It's something I have been wanting to try with my with my Basenjis for soo long so will be nice to give it a go to see if she (Belle) likes it. Both her parents do lure coursing in Germany and are very good at it.
So after 12.15 I can turn up then
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I'll let them know you're coming and ask what time is best. They generally say any time after 12.15 for dogs other than whippets and beagles, but there's a lot of hanging about involved. I'll either post here or PM you nearer the time. Or if you like phone the organiser yourself - I'll PM the phone number. She's a lovely lady and you might get a more definate time to turn up if you speak to her directly.

I'd like to try lure coursing with Beanie - she's very fast on the straight, but really comes into her own with her turning speed! Not sure it would work tho with beagles not being sight hounds. I think she might take short cuts and try and head of the lure?
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2009, 09:41 AM
In fact, here's a poster with her phone number on it:

scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2009, 09:44 AM
As it's not specifically beagle racing you're interested in you might enjoy this clip of the whippets in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6_z8-PW_jY
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I'll let them know you're coming and ask what time is best. They generally say any time after 12.15 for dogs other than whippets and beagles, but there's a lot of hanging about involved. I'll either post here or PM you nearer the time. Or if you like phone the organiser yourself - I'll PM the phone number. She's a lovely lady and you might get a more definate time to turn up if you speak to her directly.

I'd like to try lure coursing with Beanie - she's very fast on the straight, but really comes into her own with her turning speed! Not sure it would work tho with beagles not being sight hounds. I think she might take short cuts and try and head of the lure?
Yes if you pm her number that would be great thanks

Tha Basenjis are good at cutting corners. They will usually follow it the 1st time but get too smart and will cut corners after that, but lovely to watch.

Thanks
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
As Windhound has pointed out the Afghan fraternity is more than happy to let your dogs run. Hannaho there is a Greyhound track in Ellsmere Port that the Afghan Society use. I have Beagles as well and was enquiering about this with a Afghan owner and i think it starts this weekend and then the last sunday in every month from May through to November i think. I know they do seperate races for Border Terriers. I will try to find out more tommorow if your interested.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >