View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Yes I know all about that I used to train them! I meant the "sporty" stuff, not the essential stuff. Should of said more clearly, sorry.
Dawn.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Yes it does seem the "artificial" work is ok, but not the stuff the dogs were designed for. We can jump, prance, attack people, lie down for 10 minutes, track a scent, but its all artificial.
Dawn.
But surely in the hunting section that's what it'll be about. Hunting other animals?
Dawn I know you're getting quite annoyed but try to remember some people enjoy prancing, jumping and attacking with their dogs. It may sound artificial to you but some dogs were bred for that purpose.
I don't personally like hunting per say but I wouldn't begrudge you for it, ridicule you for it or prevent you from following it.
Gundogs were originally bred for flushing and retrieving, but would you class it as artificial?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

12-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Having just re-read your comments I think you mean that it excludes sporting dogs, is that right.
What do you mean by sporting dogs? (told you I wasn't an expert in this field!)

I'm not sure how I can be any clearer regarding this section the current working section is for those working dogs whos 'work' but does not involve the killing of any other animals.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Archaeopath has said what I was thinking.

But you shouldn't pour scorn on people and dogs for jump, prance, lie down, attack etc. As long as the dog enjoys it and feels challenged, what is wrong with that? There doesn't have to be a kill or retrieve of dead whatever at the end of it.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Rips...sorry just had to laugh while I was wondering what breed was bred for prancing...lol...

On a serious note, I am always in two minds about 'hunting' etc...BUT I think it would be fine to have a sub catergory from the main section of working dogs...People can the either choose to look or not.

I think that in some cases it may actually help to dispell some negative points of view on such things if written and explained well...It may show people that it isn't all blood thirsty and horrible?...I hate fox hunting etc as I think it's a pompus load of old (?) how many people on horse back and dogs does it take to get one fox??...

But other aspects what is being discussed here may well be interesting to learn more about. So long as it is in a section where people can easily avoid reading if it offends them

I think it would help if the topics were talked about with retrospect if you know what I mean...Discuss these jobs that the different breeds of dog were bred for and how it was all done maybe instead of the hear and now, just taking into consideration about what Emms said about times changing...

Heck I am probably out of my depth here as I am not qualified to really speak on such matters as say Dawn is, forgive me if I sound ignorant guys, sorry
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:21 PM
You are absolutely right Lucky Star, and I dont scorn at all, I commend anyone that does any type of activity with their dog, I have said that before, but "work" is not agility, dancing, flyball etc... that is a dogs "sport" working is doing a job, performing a role, I do include search and rescue dogs here, and of course the service/drugs and explosives dogs and the working hounds, gundogs and Terriers.
Dawn.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:25 PM
I have a prancer!!!! LOL

I truly understand that some people may not support hunting and thats fine, but people that do should not be singled out on a public forum, or is it a forum for just certain things?

On the home page it states "all breeds treated fairly and equally" is that except working dogs?
DAwn.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:27 PM
I see what your saying Dawn
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Rips...sorry just had to laugh while I was wondering what breed was bred for prancing...lol...
Dancing with dogs?? They prance about quite a bit! Not exactly bred for it though!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:29 PM
We are agreed then (at last ) sorry, it's just the word 'artificial' sounded a bit scornful - TO ME.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »