Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-08-2008, 12:56 PM

Protection trainning/shutzhund?

Following a previous thread...''do you feel safe with you dogs'' got me thinking has anyone considered any kind of protection work or shutzhund with there dogs?
Has anyone thought about getting there dogs into this type of trainning or does anyone have there dogs trainnined in this type of "work"?
All comments, views and thoughts welcome... thought it would make an intresting topic.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I did look it up as I didnt even know what it was! I have given some thought to training one of the 2 boys in it. I think Flynn is too nervous and lacks confidence but maybe Jed would suit it as he's not highly strung or timid.

I'd be interested to know what kind of character traits a dog should possess in order to excel in this area of work.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I have done a bit, but its not the main training really, If the dogs have the right temprament and have good enough obed first then I do a bit of protection work, currently only Kaos is trained in protection work,
But Vinnie will most likely start before the end of the year.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Schutzhund does require dogs of 110% temperament & control.

I've had both Schutzhund trained dogs & WT PD trained dogs

In Schutzhund the dog will be failed for not releasing more than one that isn't a hard biter of the sleeve. It isn't a case on the dog attacking the helper it's the sleeve the dog has to focua on.

My German friend, Petra, breeding Schutzhund GSDs, works Schutzhund GSDs, Judges Schutzhund GSDs & is also involved with Search & rescue dogs(again these dogs have to have 110 % temperament.)

Dogs have to pass the BH before they are allowed to start protection training. The BH is a basic test of temperament & character & working drive. Schutzhund isn't just about the protection work, it aims to test the dogs full working ability.

The dogs need to be very steady in temperament & this is why one of my reason for liking Schutzhund bred GSDs is their temperament & chacters add the high working drive & IMHO you have the complete working dogs
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-08-2008, 11:09 PM
What requirements do they need for this sort of work...eg breed...age?
Also do you feel that this sort of work could...change there personality, or reliability with people/other dogs???
Just questions?
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Many breeders here in Australia, stipulate in their contracts that the dogs are not to participate in Shutzhund. This is especially the case for GSD's. I don't know why this is, and I don't know anything about shutzhund other than what I've read.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2008, 08:34 AM
A schutzhund dog does not necessarily = personal protection dog.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by hades View Post
What requirements do they need for this sort of work...eg breed...age?
Also do you feel that this sort of work could...change there personality, or reliability with people/other dogs???
Just questions?
To actually start the basic training it needs to begin in puppyhood, the way that all dogs should have basic "obedience"training. So as early as possible.

There are no hard & fast rules to breed-the main consideration is the temperament of the dog-it has to be 110% reliable-no weakness at all, friendly to all & equally important is total obedience control. It is these three things are musts. No dog can be too friendly(no matter what UK Police & Service dog sections believe)

There will be no change to the dogs personality as long as the training is done correctly.

Each stage of Schutzhund includes a temperament test & failing at this level means no further participation in the trials. There is no such test in UK WT.

My German friend trained a farm bred ISDS BC to Schutzhund III. He didn't become person or dog aggressive as the protection test is focused on the sleeve & not the helper
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I have never found with any of my dogs, that it changes temprament, most people are really surprised when they find out kaos does a bit of protection work because hes so friendly, but as joedee says, my dog is trained to retrieve a sleeve not be aggressive to someone, the fact there is a person in said sleeve is irrelivant
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
To actually start the basic training it needs to begin in puppyhood, the way that all dogs should have basic "obedience"training. So as early as possible.

There are no hard & fast rules to breed-the main consideration is the temperament of the dog-it has to be 110% reliable-no weakness at all, friendly to all & equally important is total obedience control. It is these three things are musts. No dog can be too friendly(no matter what UK Police & Service dog sections believe)

There will be no change to the dogs personality as long as the training is done correctly.

Each stage of Schutzhund includes a temperament test & failing at this level means no further participation in the trials. There is no such test in UK WT.

My German friend trained a farm bred ISDS BC to Schutzhund III. He didn't become person or dog aggressive as the protection test is focused on the sleeve & not the helper
Hi,

Still stumbling around here and trying to get the 'multi quote' and 'part quote' bits right, any tips anyone?

In response to the issue raised in the op, JoedeeUK, did your German friend feel safe with his trained BC, bearing in mind you have specified that the schutzhund dog is trained to focus on the sleeve and not the man?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »