Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Same here I'm afraid
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 01:22 PM
I can't understand that one at all Vicki, because I did some research on this the other week, because Dave wanted to keep his garage open that day, but just like Baz's company, there's no point, because all his suppliers are closed too. In the process of my research I found out that IF you don't give them the day off as a bank holiday, then you HAVE to give them a day in lieue!! He needs to check up on this or you do, coz I know I'm right. If I am wrong, then I need to do more research so that Dave doesn't has to pay his staff coz he's a small company struggling to surive and with 5 wages to pay out for that day (let alone all the other days this month!) he could be in the s*it! Plus they could all end up OUT of work permanently. I'm on the small businesses side on this one I'm afraid, there's enough Bank holidays, plus 4 weeks during the year that bosses have to cough up. Sorry, but I fear for my lifestyle!!!!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I can't understand that one at all Vicki, because I did some research on this the other week, because Dave wanted to keep his garage open that day, but just like Baz's company, there's no point, because all his suppliers are closed too. In the process of my research I found out that IF you don't give them the day off as a bank holiday, then you HAVE to give them a day in lieue!! He needs to check up on this or you do, coz I know I'm right. If I am wrong, then I need to do more research so that Dave doesn't has to pay his staff coz he's a small company struggling to surive and with 5 wages to pay out for that day (let alone all the other days this month!) he could be in the s*it! Plus they could all end up OUT of work permanently. I'm on the small businesses side on this one I'm afraid, there's enough Bank holidays, plus 4 weeks during the year that bosses have to cough up. Sorry, but I fear for my lifestyle!!!!
Depends how the contract is worded Helena.

Ours, for instance, says something like "28 days annual leave, inclusive of bank holidays". If it had said "20 days annual leave PLUS bank holidays" we would have been ok
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post

Ours, for instance, says something like "28 days annual leave, inclusive of bank holidays". If it had said "20 days annual leave PLUS bank holidays" we would have been ok
To be fair, if you're working there then you agreed to that contract. The company is closed and making no money, the staff aren't actually working...I don't think it's a terrible sin to not pay them. I appreciate that I get bank holidays off and paid for but at the end of the day if I signed a contract to say bank holidays weren't paid for, and the office wasn't open, well, I've agreed to it.
28 days leave is quite generous, I think I'm entitled to about 22 - so add the bank holidays on and it works out about the same. Don't know what Baz's holiday allowance but most places are generally the same.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2011, 02:03 PM
28 days leave is quite generous,

That includes bank holidays, and it the minimum they have to give you.
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Don't quote me as my experience was two years ago but as far as I am aware if the company closes its doors and takes away the ability for you to work if you want to then they are bound to pay you for the day.

I had the same argument with a company a couple of years ago and my union rep said they have to pay if its their choice to shut down and not yours.

I took this up with the union and sadly when redundancy's came around I was chosen ( said I was a trouble maker) so It may be better to keep quiet as it depends if he wants to take the chance of being the one to bring up the fact the company are obliged to pay up its risky look what happened to me lol x
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Aww that sucks Vicki

Sounds like the people who run the place Sid works for!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 03:42 PM
First of all every employ should have received a T & C of their contract to sign, one which they keep and a copy of which is with the employer, therefore your holiday entitlement and pay or day off in lieu will be clearly stated.

Although you are entitled to a BH, it does not necessarily have to be taken on the day.

As for firms having to pay their employees if they choose to close, that is true if, for example, they have no work for you, but not in the case of Bank Holidays.

It is always surprising to me how many people fail to read their Terms and Conditions not only on recruitment but also can put their hands on them at any given time!

So I am afraid this company is not doing anything either illegal NOR poor practice.

You may find this site useful:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...c_holidays.htm
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post

Ah yes I remember him telling me now He said his contracts were worded in such a way that he HAD to pay them! Not good for small businesses in this dire climate though Thanks for picking me up on that
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 03:59 PM
28 days leave is quite generous,

That includes bank holidays, and it the minimum they have to give you.

Depends if you are full time or part time..........
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >