Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Are you sure you haven't got an infection. Even if ear is blocked with wax it shouldn't be that painful. I have a lot of problems with my ears/sinuses and always use warm olive oil when the need arises. Have been told by Doctor to avoid ear drops like the plague. Hope the pain subsides soon but if really bad tomorrow I would go to Doctor to ensure no infection and get some antibiotics before Christmas.
I think Sue is right Helena - you shouldn't be in that much pain if it's just wax. You may well need antibiotic - don't leave it too late. Best wishes.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Am so sorry you're in pain and think that if you've been like for this long and not improved should try see a doctor, hope you find out what's wrong and get better very soon.
Best Wishes.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I had that problem but I just went deaf - there was no pain.
I`d be down the hospital if it were me.
Don`t get fobbed off - imagine if it were your dog in pain. Would you let them send you off with an asprin?
Syringing doesn`t hurt at all btw.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys. Yes, the doctor said it probably IS infected, BUT, I don't do ab's (had anaphalactic shock with an Amoxycillin), so can ONLY take Metronidazole now, otherwise I'd die (which isn't good!) and he said they wouldn't help with this type of infection What worries me is, even if my own body clears the infection, it's gotta go somewhere, and my brain is right next to my ear that reeeeeeally worries me, I've been Googling too much!!! I've actually now spoken to 3 doctors over the phone, they've all said the same, but nobody has actually seen it, only the nurse.

Just been sitting in the recliner watching some telly coz it's better with my head slightly back, and I kept hearing all this "clicking" behind my nose and NOW the pain is less severe I'm not going to count my chickens yet, and although the ringing, deafness and ear and throat pain is still there, it's more of a 7 out of 10 now instead of 10! Maybe something's happened back there? The doctor could be right about my tubes being blocked and all this steaming I keep doing over the bowl of boiling water might be clearing them a bit?

I'm going to try and eat a jacket potato in a minute, coz I can almost suck that without setting it all off again...... hopefully!

This ear problem actually started last Wednesday, that's almost 10 days ago now but the drops wouldn't have worked if the wax was stopping it getting behind the ear drum. Maybe the garlic in the olive oil is helping with the infection now though, I'm going to keep at that coz it gives me a bit of relief too when I've done the warm oil in there.

I just cannot believe, that we've had to cancel just about everything we had booked for Christmas now even Christmas Eve, my last little get together with the family I had planned here at home had to be cancelled I should have got to grips with this a lot sooner methinks, naughty Helen!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Have you tried steaming your face with a bowl of hot water and a dollop of Vick vapour rub? It`s powerful stuff.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Have you tried steaming your face with a bowl of hot water and a dollop of Vick vapour rub? It`s powerful stuff.
Agree is one of the best things. I can't have any AB's either so know it's difficult. Know some folk think is nonsense but probiotics do help with immune system in general, camphor oil(don't know if still available) and frankinsense is also good, ginger n garlic, hope you're better soon, Christmas or get together can wait till later even if dissapointment, getting better is the main thing x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Yes, that's what all the doctors have told me to keep doing, they said only steam will help me, so I'm doing it about half a dozen times a day, but I have to say, I feel a lot worse afterwards, coz I have to blow my nose, and that sends the seering pains through that ear eeeeek!

Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Agree is one of the best things. I can't have any AB's either so know it's difficult. Know some folk think is nonsense but probiotics do help with immune system in general, camphor oil(don't know if still available) and frankinsense is also good, ginger n garlic, hope you're better soon, Christmas or get together can wait till later even if dissapointment, getting better is the main thing x
Looks like I'm NOW doing it all about right then, coz I'm using Olbas Oil in the hot water to steam, and I've just poured myself a rather large glass of real ginger beer with ice and lemon! (sadly, the non alcoholic version though! )

Just sad about Christmas though, coz I soooooo love it, but at least hubby is pleased coz he hates it anyway! You never know, another two nights and this could be on the way out with all this home remedy treatment I'm doing! Thanks, k9, I really do want to get better, I'm a bit lapse in the self care dept. I tend to look after everybody else instead and that includes the dogs of course!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Poor you Helene having to go without Christmas
When hubby's ears were blocked with wax the surgery nurse suggested Bicarbonate of Soda drops from the chemist.
They were amazing, the wax poured out (yuck yuckity yuck!)
Might be worth a try.
Get well soon xx
ETA and Dave
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Oh no, nothing worse is there. Why is it always at Christmas.

I had a similar experience (at Christmas too) and ended up with a burst ear drum. I would try not to blow your nose too much if you can, my ear drum went because of a vaccuum in the escutcheon tube.

Hugs to you and Dave, take care
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I suffer with excess wax, Aitch, and I really feel for you - I think earache is the worst pain in the world.

I always use warm olive oil, consistently, and eventually it softens up and comes out.

If yours is compacted, and it sounds like it is, I would "oil" it regularly, and then when they syringe it, it'll come out easily.

Big hugs, darling..... nowt worse than feeling like poo over Christmas xxx
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >