Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wthomas36
New Member!
Female 

22-08-2013, 12:02 AM

Sudden aggression in deaf dog

We rescued a deaf American Bulldog/pit bul mix in April. We also rescued a pit bull 3 years ago today and she is the perfect dog. Our deaf dog settled in OK, a few small issues but for the most part, things were going well. A couple weeks ago he attacked our dog for no reason and bit my husbands hand. He is now scheduled to see an orthopedic for a broken knuckle. Since that episode, there has been several aggressive attacks for no reason. I have been bitten, our dog and almost our daughter. 95% of the time he is the sweetest dog you could ever imagine. We have a very structured household, they get plenty of exercise, and nothing is free! We use signs with the deaf dog and he knows what to expect. We are taking him to the vet tomorrow to be checked for medical issues. I have reached out to rescues for advice and have been told we may need to euthanize him. I would love to know if anyone has dealt with this type of random aggression and if you have any advice!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2013, 12:18 AM
I have never dealt with sudden aggression like that. It's not about being deaf though, nor would i say it's a breed thing. I have 2 deaf dogs and have owned and fostered several others. It seriously sounds medical. I wonder if rage syndrome is possible in either of those breeds. Could be thyroid or pain too. The vet is your best bet. But make sure they do blood tests and check thyroid levels.
wthomas36
New Member!
Female 

22-08-2013, 12:29 AM
I agree the deafness is not the issue. I don't want him to have medical issues but at this point, I hope that is the problem. We are going to the vet tomorrow. Our put bill is wonderful and she does not understand this aggressive behavior. My family is so fearful he is going to harm us but I just can't give up on him yet!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2013, 09:48 AM
WELCOME TO DOGSEY

Sorry to hear your having problems
Good luck at the vets tomorrow,hope you can get some answers(( hugs))
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Thyroid problems can cause aggression, only blood tests can tell if this is a problem, there are 2 blood tests, vets usually only do the cheap one which doesn't always show up problems, far better to insist on the other.

Until you know if there is a health problem you will have to manage him so that everyone stays safe. Use gates to separate him, he can still be involved if you use gates. Try and work out what the triggers were so you can avoid them in future.

Stay safe and hopefully it is a health problem.