Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 09:54 AM

Pooping in the flat

Mollie has started pooping indoors, never done it since she was a puppy. I know why she is doing it (too nervous to relax outside since she was attacked) but don't know how to stop it. I can't tell her off for doing it she is so scared out doors.

Obviously need to address the fear, treats get her down the stairs and out the back door, nothing we offer will get her out the front door where the attack happened.

Once we are away from the communal gardens she is jumpy and will lunge and bolt to try and get away if a dog barks or comes quickly towards her. She doesn't see very well so she sometimes bolts from rubbish bags or people unless they get close enough for her to identify them.

She is a different dog to the happy go lucky loves everyone and everything dog we had before.

Really need to help her past this in the twilight of her life she deserves to be at peace and not so frightened.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Is there a place in the communal gardens that you could make private for her, ie behind a bush, bin etc?

If you can magic up such a place, she will find it a lot easier to feel 'safe' while she goes.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 02:38 PM
That's a good idea I could take her behind the recycling bins area it's got a tall fence at the back, bins in front and a hedge either side so we can squeeze through the end of the hedge/fence. Nice grassy area too.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Otherwise you could try and get her to poo in a tray of earth until she feels more confident outdoors.
It is kind of a step backwards and you'd have to get her used to do it outdoors again in steps etc. but if she's really too frightened outdoors it might be an option for the moment.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Felt a bit odd burrowing through the hedge LOL but it worked she did her after dinner poop outside, just got back in through the doors when the dog that attacked her ran across the lawn dragging a small child behind it ! Really don't understand why they are trusting it !
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Felt a bit odd burrowing through the hedge LOL but it worked she did her after dinner poop outside, just got back in through the doors when the dog that attacked her ran across the lawn dragging a small child behind it ! Really don't understand why they are trusting it !
Oh well done that's great news and good time too in just missing the dog that caused her problems. I feel so sorry for her.

My last dog, little Cavvy was terrified of a GSD that lived in the last house down our road - we had to pass the house any time we went out anywhere if we weren't going in the car. But could walk on the opposite pavement.

And all that had caused it was one day passing the gate and the GSD hurled itself against it barking loudly. Must admit it gave me a fright but it couldn't get out.

But, for the 4 years after that that we lived there my dog would NOT walk past that gate. Well before we got to it she'd drag me with all her might to the other side of the road and sort of scuttle keeping low until we were out of our road and on the High St. And it had never ever barked at us again, in fact hardly ever saw it again.

She was the same with Boxers having had two of them rough her up one time. She could recognise a Boxer in the distance even before I could make out what it was - never lost her fear of them all her life.

So sad when it is a sweet natured little dog with a bright happy personality as in your case where it is even afraid to leave the house.