Our sister sites
Our sister sites
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Dew Claws Question ?

Hi,

Not sure whether its posted in the right section but couldn't find any other board relevent.

How much does back dew claw removal cost around your areas, I am in South Wales, UK but will travel if cheaper, think its around £100 here

Sarah x
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 05:23 PM
hi there what age are the dogs you are looking at getting done as they are normaly done at bith before 5days, i paid 10.50 per pup when i had front ones done.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 05:24 PM
My 3 local vets won't do the dew claws any more , they never docked anyway but used to remove the dew claws, but now it seems to be frowned upon almost as much as docking.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by sjpurt View Post
hi there what age are the dogs you are looking at getting done as they are normaly done at bith before 5days, i paid 10.50 per pup when i had front ones done.
Hi this is a pup 8 weeks old, just came to us with a tail and both sets of dew claws, I know there is nothing to be done with his tail as thats usually 3 days old but I would like both sets of dew claws removed as we do alot of bushland walking and rough playing with my other dogs, I am afraid they will get caught/ripped etc
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2007, 05:28 PM
My last litter cost me £5 a puppy to have them removed and at the time I was living in North Yorkshire. I think £100 is a bit steep. My mum has done all our other litters so I don't know what is the norm really.

Jenny
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by basi View Post
My last litter cost me £5 a puppy to have them removed and at the time I was living in North Yorkshire. I think £100 is a bit steep. My mum has done all our other litters so I don't know what is the norm really.

Jenny
Hi Jenny,

I would agree £100 is a bit steep but this isn't a new born pup we are talking about, I think my vets do newborns for around £5-£10 a pup but now he is 8 weeks an injection is needed which ups the cost so I think ?, I haven't priced it up but was told by a friend who had his done at around 6 months of age but he had her spayed, hip scored and dew claw removal all in one go which cost him £250 in total so he just worked a basis price going on what he had done
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Dew Claws should ideally be removed before 48 hours old, I'm assuming that the cost is so high because it involves an anaestic.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Dew Claws should ideally be removed before 48 hours old, I'm assuming that the cost is so high because it involves an anaestic.
Thats the word I was trying to think of when I put injection haha my mind went blank, yes it does involve an anasetic
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by taz_in_2001 View Post
Hi this is a pup 8 weeks old, just came to us with a tail and both sets of dew claws, I know there is nothing to be done with his tail as thats usually 3 days old but I would like both sets of dew claws removed as we do alot of bushland walking and rough playing with my other dogs, I am afraid they will get caught/ripped etc
Ah that explains the price then, didn't realise that it was an 8 week old puppy. I actually found it hard enough to find a vet that would remove them at 2 days old so I don't know how easy it will be for you to find one that will remove them at 8 weeks! I think it will be banned soon just like the tail docking is. Over here in Germany you are not allowed to have them removed if the dog is bred here that is (both of mine have had them removed)

Jenny
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Unless dew claws are removed from a pup at around 2 days of age they can't just be clipped off. After a few days old removing dew claws requires the dog/puppy to be put under anastetic, its a surgical procidure - hence the steep price.

If not done at birth my vet won't remove dew claws unless the dog is going to be spayed or neutered in which case they will remove them at the same time if required.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >