Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cadac21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2013, 06:29 PM

Protecting your dog

Does anyone know the laws in regards to protecting your dog?

I have just got back from taking my Oreo over the local village green where we have just had a 'run in' with a new dog and it's owner on the estate.

We just got onto the green and this big bulky type dog (boxer/staffy type) came running over to Oreo. No collar but had a harness. Started to sniff her, so Oreo sniffed him back. She then started to roll on her back on the floor in the snow, to which the other dog started growling and showing its teeth.

Oreo hid behind my legs and this other dog was trying to get to her. I called out to the man who was walking her and said can you put your dog on a lead please. He then said no, and asked 'why is my dog aggressive'. I got upset and said no my dog isn't aggressive and can you remove your dog and put it on a lead. He told me to F off.

I told him that if he didn't remove his dog and it continues to upset mine I would report him. He then laughed at me and started to walk off.

Now this could have easily escalated into a massive problem. I have reported it to the council via their website as I tend to have bad luck with these things and I am worried that he may do something to me or Oreo as he lives so close.

My question is if it became more out of hand where does the law protect me and my dog?

What would I be able to do to ensure safety of me and my dog?

This incident has shook me up a little, and I no it wasn't massive and I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill but I just thought id bring it up for discussion.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-03-2013, 06:44 PM
I think your wasting your time with the council as nothing has actually happened other than you and your dog didn't feel comfortable with him and his dog. the mans an **** but that's not illegal. It's hard enough to get anyone to take it seriously if something does happen with dog on dog aggression. nobody cares until a person is injured.

My advice has to be to avoid the fool and walk to a different field.
cadac21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I think your wasting your time with the council as nothing has actually happened other than you and your dog didn't feel comfortable with him and his dog. the mans an **** but that's not illegal. It's hard enough to get anyone to take it seriously if something does happen with dog on dog aggression. nobody cares until a person is injured.

My advice has to be to avoid the fool and walk to a different field.
You're probably right. As I say I'm probably making a lot out of it which is why he laughed at me.

We live on a new housing estate and has moved into one of the newer houses which arnt too far from me, so it is likely I/ we will run into him again as he has to walk past ours to get to any of the fields or parks.

I just had horrible visions of it kicking off and me being powerless to do anything.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Poor you....and idiot man, obviously gets a kick out of making others feel uncomfortable. Do you and your dog a favour and walk somewhere else. Don't let him make you feel that way again. Xx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 08:30 PM
What a stupid man, and no wonder you feel a little shaken up.

As others have said, the safest thing to do would be to choose a different route in future even if this doesn't seem fair. It doesn't guarantee that you will never come across him again though and unfortunately he doesn't sound the sort to have his ways changed by a polite chat.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Asking someone to put a dog that is growling at yours on a lead is not "making a big thing" of something. If he had half a brain cell, he would have done as you asked.

Agree with the others about walking somewhere else though. The council are not likely to do something unless/until someone is injured by this other dog and the owner sounds a complete clown.
redowl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2013, 07:43 PM
What a horrible thing to happen. I can imagine how shaken up it has made you feel. There is some very shady characters out there. I had a similar experience a couple of months ago when a mans Manchester Terrier tore over to me and my dogs, a couple of hundred yards, laid into my Puppy and then ran off again. Pup had some bite marks although not serious. I went over to the owner and asked if he could put his dog on a lead in future when he saw my dogs as every time I walk in that area his dog does this and he said the Puppy had to learn a lesson (!!??) and he put his fist in my face and threatened to put me 6 feet under. I now avoid that area on a weekend morning which is when I used to see him around.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Sounds like you bumped into one of the many a***holes that seem to be everywhere these days. I doubt the council will be any use. If you happen to see the dog warden have a word and let them know that the bloke and his dog are aggressive. The lady warden by us is really good and keeps an eye out on her travels. Just try not to worry about this donut, he is probably all mouth.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 09:16 PM
If I lived near people like this I would give them a VERY wide berth. I'm sure if anything comes of a complaint about him (which I doubt it will if his dog didn't actually attack you and your dog) he could become even more belligerent and nasty and might even make your whole life unpleasant living where you do. Even if his dog had attacked your dog you might not have been able to do much about it. Are there any signs up saying dogs should be on leads on this green?

Neighbour problems are horrible. Find somewhere else to walk your dog. Not worth taking a chance. And you won't enjoy your walks if you are looking out for this yob.
TinyCows
New Member!
Female 

26-03-2013, 12:05 PM
It's so horrible when that kind of thing happens. My Bulldog got pinned down by some Labradors in an onlead area at the local nature reserve. The owners basically said it was my fault for having him on the lead .

I left them some notes on all the gates explaining why they were wrong and the reasons why my dog might have been on his lead .

It's really sad that it's such a common occurance nowadays. Three out of my four dogs have all been attacked .

I take an umbrella on walks now. If a dog runs over to us I just open it up quickly, tends to make them think twice.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »