Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Sorry - it's that paw again, and a question please

Jimmi's paw was once again virtually healed, and he was back to a normal life apart from having his Pawz boot on when walking.........then this evening he suddenly had a mad whizz around the room and once again scuffed the skin by his pad. I assume that's what happened anyway, because a little later on he started licking it and when I investigated all the skin between the two toes is bright bright red, and there is a small cut in the healed section. I just don't believe that this is happening again, especially as we have a family funeral on Monday and my daughter will have to look after Jimmi for the day.

Anyway, I have just applied Manuka honey once again as per Vet instructions from last time, and put a pawz boot on, which last time was removed after two hours or so - until the next application. The thing is, does anyone think that it would hurt to leave the boot on overnight? It is made of rubber, so obviously the foot cannot "breathe", but then again when he has the melanin dressings on, plus massive bandage, surely that amounts to the same thing?

It would certainly keep the honey in contact with the wound, instead of it all being wiped off all over the floor
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Naughty Jimmi - reminds me of Rocky when he did his cruciate in and we tried strict rest for a fortnight, let him out in the garden (on lead) but he darted off and I lost grip.. and then he had a funny five minutes running around. And did his leg back in!

Anyway back to Jimmi

I would be inclined to use an Elizabethan Collar to be honest Sally - I know it's not pleasant but two weeks of that will really help with the healing, as generally it's when they get to it and start licking it that it becomes infected and takes longer to heal.

I'm not sure about leaving the boot on overnight tbh - is it a tight fit? If it is I'd be worried about circulation
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi Azz, no the boot isn't a tight fit at all, but to be honest having mulled it over in the last five minutes I realise that it is probably not a good idea to leave it on overnight.

Oh well - back to having the little toad on the bed at night then (he cannot easily get in and out of his cage in the kitchen with the collar on).

It is so depressing, as this is now the third time that we have had to embark on the healing trip. What really gets me is that it was looking absolutely normal, and I am having tiny niggles that there might be something else going on here.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Oh no Sally if you do decide to leave the boot on I would wrap the wound loosely in cotton gauze or similar first so there is a bit of breathing space in the boot.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Good thinking Mini, and I might do that tomorrow during the day so that the boot can stay on for more than a couple of hours.

I wish your car could cope with that hill sometimes!!! I could do with someone like you here instead of a husband who sticks his head in the sand and just says "oh, we will get him right" as his eyes close in snooze mode Don't get me wrong, he adores Jimmi - but when it comes to this sort of thing he is absolutely useless
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't know if it's any help but Loki has been licking his paws to destruction for a few weeks now. Apart from antibiotics we have been given Hibiscrub and we're using an Elizabethan collar because silly Loki, he will just keep on gnawing at it.

I had no experience of Hibiscrub but it is working like magic but I don't know if it would help in your situation?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=Azz;2620793]Naughty Jimmi - reminds me of Rocky when he did his cruciate in and we tried strict rest for a fortnight, let him out in the garden (on lead) but he darted off and I lost grip.. and then he had a funny five minutes running around. And did his leg back in!

Anyway back to Jimmi

I would be inclined to use an Elizabethan Collar to be honest Sally - I know it's not pleasant but two weeks of that will really help with the healing, as generally it's when they get to it and start licking it that it becomes infected and takes longer to heal.

I'm not sure about leaving the boot on overnight tbh - is it a tight fit? If it is I'd be worried about circulation [/QUOTE]

Just reading your reply again, isn't it heartbreaking when they feel better and pain free so get all exuberant and silly.....only to make things worse again. They just don't understand do they. Our last dog did a similar thing to yours after her cruciate op, but fortunately unlike Rocky she didn't tear the repair, just set herself back a bit.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I don't know if it's any help but Loki has been licking his paws to destruction for a few weeks now. Apart from antibiotics we have been given Hibiscrub and we're using an Elizabethan collar because silly Loki, he will just keep on gnawing at it.

I had no experience of Hibiscrub but it is working like magic but I don't know if it would help in your situation?
Thank you for that, and I do sympathise about Loki.....it drives you to distraction doesn't it when they just keep on and on licking.

I have used Hibiscrub in the past, instead of salt water baths, on Jimmi's "usual" paw problems, which are cists and abscesses front right and rear left. It certainly is very good isn't it. This current trouble is the result of a gash or something next to the pad on one of his good paws, and the first treatment involved bandaging over honey for six days, then honey application with no bandage for three days, plus ABs. It seemed to work a treat until he scuffed the new skin. Next treatment was no bandage, but honey application twice a day followed by pawz boot for two hours and more ABs. Again, it worked and all seemed well until today.

I intend to ring the vet in the morning to discuss what to do now.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Oh that's hard, isn't it? If the honey seems to work for a bit then I'd keep on doing it and see what the vet says tomorrow. I really do hope you get it sorted. Loki is doing well with the Hibiscrub but I dread to think what will happen when we run out. That constant licking drives you mad!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Poor Jimmi and you going through all this again just when you think things are getting better.

No suggestions sorry. Just some (((hugs))).
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >