Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I am telling you that the Canaan dogs bred and registered last year are all accounted for, check yourself if you dont believe me, pleae dont tell me to be reasonable when I know its a fact.

The dog came from rescue, its a crossbreed. Its also not the first time a "new" owner has thought their dog was a Canaan, there has been at least one other on here, check that too Gnasher, Im being perfectly reasonable about that FACT too!

The breed is fine, not for me, very well maintained and carefully monitered by responsible breeders.
I just dislike such blind conviction Dawn, without any concession to the fact that you cannot possibly KNOW beyond any reasonable doubt that this dog is - or is not - a pure Canaan. I agree entirely that the breed is very rare, and having met the only couple who at that time were involved in breeding in this country and who I knew to be the most careful and responsible people, only selling their pups to those people they considered to be entirely suitable etc. etc., I agree again that the most likely explanation is that the dog is a cross. But I just cannot accept your categorical statement that the dog is a crossbreed - sorry, but that would be absolutely guaranteed to put my back right up Dawn, because you have never met the dog, and as Shona has rightly pointed out, it is impossible to really tell much from that piccy. I am purely going on what I can see, and stating that IMO from what little I can see, the dog could well be a canaan cross, and maybe even pure. He is the right height and colouring, the head looks good although the ears do look a little pointy, although it is impossible to tell. The tail is the correct carriage and shape, but a bit thin, although this could be down to youth.

Perhaps if Lisa comes back to this thread, she will post a better picture of her dog!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I just dislike such blind conviction Dawn, without any concession to the fact that you cannot possibly KNOW beyond any reasonable doubt that this dog is - or is not - a pure Canaan. I agree entirely that the breed is very rare, and having met the only couple who at that time were involved in breeding in this country and who I knew to be the most careful and responsible people, only selling their pups to those people they considered to be entirely suitable etc. etc., I agree again that the most likely explanation is that the dog is a cross. But I just cannot accept your categorical statement that the dog is a crossbreed - sorry, but that would be absolutely guaranteed to put my back right up Dawn, because you have never met the dog, and as Shona has rightly pointed out, it is impossible to really tell much from that piccy. I am purely going on what I can see, and stating that IMO from what little I can see, the dog could well be a canaan cross, and maybe even pure. He is the right height and colouring, the head looks good although the ears do look a little pointy, although it is impossible to tell. The tail is the correct carriage and shape, but a bit thin, although this could be down to youth.

Perhaps if Lisa comes back to this thread, she will post a better picture of her dog!
You believe whatever you like Gnasher, I DID say there was another pic, removed I think now.

She only came here for that reason alone, the thread is over a month old and she wasnt interested in persuing the correct channels.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Shame ... let's hope she comes back on. I hadn't realised this thread was over a month old, I had done a search for Canaan during an idle moment to see if there was anyone on here with one, and whether they had got more popular over the last decade.

I will believe what I like, thanks Dawn. I believe in keeping an open mind, and not blindly accepting everything I read in the newspapers or on the internet
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Shame ... let's hope she comes back on. I hadn't realised this thread was over a month old, I had done a search for Canaan during an idle moment to see if there was anyone on here with one, and whether they had got more popular over the last decade.

I will believe what I like, thanks Dawn. I believe in keeping an open mind, and not blindly accepting everything I read in the newspapers or on the internet
I know you do, just like the Craig Busche thing eh.

The breed is not really improving in numbers, declining in registrations actually. Under 20 registered lat year I think, just two litters. They are being exhibited on the continent now though, from the UK.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I know you do, just like the Craig Busche thing eh.

The breed is not really improving in numbers, declining in registrations actually. Under 20 registered lat year I think, just two litters. They are being exhibited on the continent now though, from the UK.
Exactly Dawn, you've hit the nail on the head!

I'm glad in a way to hear that the breed is declining in popularity in this country. It is most definitely not a breed for everyone, as you will know they have an exceptionally strong guarding instinct. A highly intelligent dog, with a very strong sense of pack loyalty which I would think would take a very abject view to being left home alone all day. I loved their aloofness, their intense loyalty to their "own" and definite wariness and shyness towards strangers. All this appealed very strongly to us at the time, but as I say, probably not the best breed for a 10 year old, very physically small little girl. She was then and still is brilliant with animals, but although wistful about my decision to run with the wolfie option, have never regretted it. I certainly would love to get back in touch with what were then the sole breeders of Canaan's in this country when the time is right.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 01:08 PM
All I have to say is that she says in her profile that her occupation is a writer, yet her spelling is terrible!?!?
So I doubt a word she has said about her dog and the fact that she hasn't even put up photos of him makes it very likely she is a troll!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 01:42 PM
i dont get this... i thought that pic she posted on here was of ben. but it is the first pic in google... so why has she managed to get a pic from google on here, and not one of ben??

this doesnt make sense...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
All I have to say is that she says in her profile that her occupation is a writer, yet her spelling is terrible!?!?
So I doubt a word she has said about her dog and the fact that she hasn't even put up photos of him makes it very likely she is a troll!
Agreed. I think the poster is very young too, judging by the writing.

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i dont get this... i thought that pic she posted on here was of ben. but it is the first pic in google... so why has she managed to get a pic from google on here, and not one of ben??

this doesnt make sense...
You only need save the image or copy the URL to get it onto another site. I think she posted it in an attempt to get people to think it was "Ben" maybe not, but Im certain she put a pic of him on here then removed it quite quickly. he looked like a cross GSD, as other people have said, they will have seen the picture too.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Agreed. I think the poster is very young too, judging by the writing.

You only need save the image or copy the URL to get it onto another site. I think she posted it in an attempt to get people to think it was "Ben" maybe not, but Im certain she put a pic of him on here then removed it quite quickly. he looked like a cross GSD, as other people have said, they will have seen the picture too.
it all seems very fishy... im sure i saw a different pic before too. coz the only one i can see now is where he has his head down, but im sure there was one where you could see it... coz i said GSDx too...

i think she was trying to get us to think it was ben too... but why??... maybe to make everyone think they were wrong to not believe he is a canaan??....
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
lol funny you bring this up, I had pm'd dawn last night with the same concerns, I thought her posts were way off for someone who's a writer
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >