View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Many years ago we used to have a great big lump of a gsd lying right between the pair of us night after night, and for the life of me I don't know why we let her do that!!!! When I slept downstairs I never minded them coming up for a cuddle whilst I was watching tv if they were clean, (very clean!!!)but funnilly enough, as soon as I said "mummy wants to go to sleep now" they'd always jump straight off and get into their own beds.

Life is now normal, only one dog, he sleeps under the stairs out of the traffic areas and next to hubby's bedroom so he can go and wake him up if he needs to go out during the night, which he does almost every night! Perfect! I'm upstairs, totally undisturbed and totally hairless!

It would be a no from me now, I'm older and wiser!
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2008, 04:09 PM
not any more because i have too many and the wolfhound would steal the entire bed although i have to admit i have let patches sneak into bed this week for a lie in cuddle in the morning
I think it can be fine but has to be monitored carefully as in it's acceptable if the dogs know that it's a treat and will get down immediately without fuss if told. I had a friend who let her lab walk all over her and despite good advice did allow him to sleep in bed. Wasn't long before he was having issues with her other half getting into bed as well and causing all kinds of problems (particularly between them as a couple as she wouldn't discipline him properly).
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes and No from me (I know there always has to be one )
Milo sleeps on my bed and when its cold under the duvet.
Shady has never attempted to sleep on the bed , thank goodness as she would take it all up, but she sleeps in her own bed next to mine.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
My dogs are way too big to sleep on the bed!

Since they generally sleep lying flat out, they can take up the whole of our kingsize bed without trying.

They will, as has been said above, come for a cuddle (when I am changing the bedsheets!!) and we snuggle on the sofa with them, but not on the bed as a regular occurence.

Plus, both of mine have some sort of Lassie-mentality... if we fall asleep, they will lick and paw us until we wake up, which is fine if we were stuck down a well etc and they were keeping us conscious, but not when you're trying to get some much needed sleep!

That had me laughing a lot...very funny and oh so very like out house!!!!
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Mine sleeps on the bed with me but never under the covers - all my dogs have either slept on my bed or on a leather sofa in my room including the wolfhounds, i grew up with the family dogs sleeping in my room so its normal to me.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 05:00 PM
During the day, yes, during the night, no.

If I'm in my bedroom watching TV or reading, they come up beside me for a cuddle in, and they can lounge on my bed (and my grandparents bed, for that matter) as and when they want during the day.

During the night they are in the living room in their own beds, and are quite happy there and are always in the their beds when I get up, sometimes Roxy bunks in with Molly though and the two are squeezed together but at least their in either bed! We have throws on the beds that get removed and folded before we go to bed, and then get put on again in the morning to keep the beds clean. Plus I don't like dog hair actually in my bed either!

When we to Scruffts in London with Roxy last year, Roxy obviously stayed in the hotel room with us. Luckily, or so I thought, there were three single beds in the room so I thought that Roxy would like her own bed, which I put a fleece on for her. I gave her the middle bed as she adores my friend and I thought she would like to be between us both. No, not Roxy, she wanted to lie right on top of me or between the bottom of my legs. It was a bit of a pain, to be honest, because I like my own space at night. I also find it uncomfortable and it would affect my sleep during the night if I had both dogs in bed with me. The friend I was with can sleep through anything, so I carried Roxy over to her and put her on my friends bed. Roxy was still sleeping with my firend in the morning.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Sometimes I do. If i have worked loads in the day and spent notime with them, i feel unfair to leave them in the kitchen so i let them sleep with me.....I say sleep, i dont tend to get much as they hog the bed and snore.

But i do think it is good that they know that when i shut them in the kitchen at night, they know to go to sleep.

I also always wash my bed after they have slept in it...they are hairy and dirty and i dont know what else i might be sharing my bed with lol.
Stevel
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Absolutely, definitely, categorically NO.

Mine are not even allowed up stairs let alone on a bed.

To my mind they are animals and have their place and that place is not on my bed or even in the bedroom.

If for some reason I think they need some sort of attention or comforting then I will sleep on the settee. I have just had a few days on the settee to keep the new pup, who was in a cage not on the settee, company.

Sorry but I think letting dogs in or on a bed is humanising them and belittling the fact they are a dog.

Steve
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Biefore i moved in with OH , Yes, Tara Nellie & flynn could ALL sleep with me if they wanted, although Nellie was the only one who would spend all night on the bed. Nowdays OH dosent like it & 5 dogs is abit much, so ive compromised. I think nellie is the only one thats bothered,poor baby
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2008, 07:04 PM
As a general rule mine aren't even allowed upstairs or in the "good" living room (I don't go in there often either-the footie is usually on ) so not in bed for me!
They do cuddle up on the sofa in the family room with me and if they are ill I sleep down there on the sofa bed with them, slept down there with them as new pups too.
My last dog had terrible separation anxiety and would not settle anywhere else but in my bedroom so I was kinda determined that things would be different this time around.
In saying that when I come in after a night shift freezing it is a tempting thought to have 2 furries keeping me warm Have managed to resist so far, the white bed linen helps!
Page 2 of 45 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »